Subprojects

Also my +1 for subprojects.

1 Like

Or maybe projects are a third tagging category; similar to the way tags and people are handled in Agenda, for example !projectX, but on steroids: these project tags can be organized in any hierarchical way in a projects editor, where projects can be moved up and down, left and right to turn them into sub-projects (and sub sub projects?), hidden or visible in the left sidebar. Selecting a project in the sidebar reveals all its notes as well as all its sub notes, while a triangle icon next to a project in the sidebar can be used to expand it to reveal its sub projects. @Roland.Foerster

We already have projects on the left, and wonā€™t make those tag-like. (That is the approach of Bear.)

But I fully agree it would be good to be able to search based on project in some way. That would probably work in a similar way.

1 Like

+1 for subprojects!

Another +1 for subprojects. Like most busy people, I have too many projects. The only way to manage them is with an app like Agenda. But it feels like I need another level of organization. Hereā€™s how I would like to be able to work:

1. Categories ā€” for major areas of my life (family, work, side-hustle, etc.)
  2. Projects ā€” for major projects in those categories (e.g., a book Iā€™m writing)
  3. Subprojects ā€” for breakdown of the larger task (e.g. individual chapters of the book)

Excited to see how you guys implement subprojects. As I use Agenda more and more I will need a way to keep organized and be able to expand and collapse a project/sub project. So +1 for me on this feature.

Even just project dividers would be helpful. A way of dividing up information within a given project. Visually would be enough for me, with an added heading or two here and there.

I need ā€œsubprojectsā€ so I can better manage my research. Agenda is becoming my goto app for notetaking and database for research-related PDFs and other files. As such, I need to also have the traditional hierarchal file system. I was really impressed with how the attachment function was implemented in Agenda. I canā€™t wait to see how subsystems works! :slight_smile:

2 Likes
  • 1 for subprojects. It will definitely help me to tame my sprawling notes

+1 Missing this feature more and more with every day my project list is growing longer and longerā€¦

If Agenda is a note taking app within projects, itā€™s a must to provide a real world structure for projects. In a real world usually any project consist of sub-projects. Means, Agenda should provide the feature of ā€œsub-projectsā€.
Secondly having the feature of sub-projects implemented does not harm any user. Those users who need this feature can define their sub-projects, others donā€™t.

Agenda now has subcategories. You can structure things very well with those. Each category can hold projects, but also other categories. This is very flexible.

1 Like

Wonderfulā€”thank you!

I was only hoping for one sub-level but there are quite a few! More than Iā€™ll ever need, so thank you for listening to user feedback and providing us with such a powerful feature.

1 Like

Will Agenda still introduce Subprojects or stopping at Subcategories?

1 Like

We wonā€™t introduce subprojects, this doesnā€™t make sense, itā€™s the same as in the notes app where you can create subfolders but not ā€œsub-notesā€ā€¦

I also need at least 8 sub levels, this is the only major thing thats stopping me from buying. Yes!, selecting project without expanding should reveal all sub projects notes to aid in longer form writing.

Also, quicker option to:

1. expand/collapse projects in iOS (maybe double tap)

2. Expand/collapse all notes within this future feature project hierarchy, maybe via long press on project (iOS)

3. A way to export all notes in a project, to word/pages, while keeping headings/body tags in tacked (maybe this exists already)

Iā€™m afraid that you are trying to put the wrong mental model on top of Agenda. The idea behind Agenda is that a project is precisely what you describe: a series of individual notes that together form a longer ā€œdocumentā€. If you want to see an overview of say multiple or all subcategories, try shift or command clicking their projects in the sidebar. This will give you a single view with all the containing notes of each of those ā€œdocumentsā€.

1 Like

Thatā€™s interesting, do you typically consider it one project = one document? Thatā€™s an approach Iā€™ll have to experiment with more, but Iā€™d love to see some examples if you can share.

Yes, one project = one document, as in, the individual notes in a project together form one document. The sample documents are good examples I think.

Okay I was able to get the sample projects back by disabling sync and going through the tour again. When I had sync on and started the tour, it put the sample projects back, but then they were removed one at a time (and not sent to the bin).

Somewhat related: What would be a way to do ā€œexperimentalā€ stuff in Agenda, where I could start with an empty library, change things around, and not mess up my main library? Is it as simple as zipping up Library/Containers/com.momenta.agenda.macos and restoring it after Iā€™m done with my experimentation? Thatā€™s something Iā€™d like to do, but obviously Iā€™m a bit afraid. But I do need to know the basic mechanics of backing up and restoring Agenda from the file system (I use Arq backup as opposed to Time Machine).