#star: quick-search and spacing

I like the look of the star-tag. It is really fast to recognize, while I’m scrolling my notes.
Because I use Agenda on Mac, iPhone and iPad it would be great, if the star behaves like a tag, on which I can click resp. long-tap with the following options:

• delete the tag/star
  • search after it
    • within the project
    • or all notes

So first, it is sometimes nasty to delete the star on iPhone, and second I would not need a smart-overview for the star, and can search for it out of a note.

As a remark, I found a strange behavior of the star (on Mac). If you activate the star-symbole, it comes with an extra space. But when you deactivate it, the space remains. So if you – whyever you would do this – activate and deactivate the star a couple of times, you create a large extra space (as shown in the video). I think it is not necessary to fix that, but I wanted to give you the feedback.

Thanks for reporting the issue.

I have a feeling you can already search for #star to find the stars. (I could. be wrong, but worth trying)

Thanks for the feedback! We’ll see if we can improve star and other tags/commands in future.

(I guess in theory you could insert an emoji in notes, and search for that. May be an alternative.)

Kind regards,
Drew

Yes, I can search #star by the search-function (cmd-F etc. on Mac or magnifying glass button), but not by tab on it, like I can other tags or Person on iPhone.
If I tab on a tag on iPhone, it pops up the options to search for it, rename it or delete it. I am not able to do that with the star.

Well it’s not important at all, since I can use another tag instead of the star. But I like the look of the star-tag, because it’s outstanding: an eye-catcher.

Makes sense, we’ll see if we can make it show the menu.

1 Like

Update: the behaviour of inserting and removing stars should be much better in Agenda 14, let us know if you still hit any issues.

The Star-function is great and work well.
But the option to tap on it to open a menue (like other tags, or for the reminder-icon) doesn’t neither on MacOS nor on iPad (9. Gen.).
On iPad you just position the cursor by tapping on it. Maybe the better option than opening a menue.
When I try to insert text after the reminder-icon, it could be stressful, if it opens the reminder-menue again and again instead to set the cursor (happens especially on the iPhone).

The star is special in that it’s just a symbol (which happens to be implemented as a tag under the hood). Can I ask why you would want it to open the menu when tapped/clicked?

We’ll look if we can improve the cursor placement behind a reminder icon.

It was just a late answer to your Update above (Apr 5).

It ist not important at all.
It’s that: If I tap a tag it shows a menue, within I can search that tag in the project or over all projects or where I can delete the tag (especially helpful on iPhone).
My Question: Why the „star“ has not this behaviour? So that I can tap it and after that search for it in the project (or delete it; or change the color :-)).
I know, there is the workaround to search a star via the search-function. But I thought, if you allready have it for tags, why not improve it for the „star“.

About the reminder-icon.
Mostly when I tap it, I want to change something within the reminder. So it behaves well, when it opens the menue.
Sometimes, when I want to add a line (on iPhone), and the last line ends with a reminder-icon, it could be tricky to get it work.
When I remeber it before taping at the end of the line, I tap in the beginning of the line and hold to swipe the cursor at the end of the line: that works too.

We’ll take the star point into consideration, it indeed shares those features with tags so it could make sense indeed. We’ll also take a look at the reminder selection issue, thanks for the follow up!

1 Like