Split note

Doing a brain dump of ideas etc for a new project, and in the first iteration I just need to get everything down, so all in one note makes sense.

But the next step is to organise all my stuff and at that stage it becomes apparent that I need to use several notes to group the material.

I know I could use copy paste, but a split note command would be much handier.

Can we expect that at some point?

1 Like

Not sure. We have certainly discussed it. The problem is it doesn’t offer that much more than just copy and paste, and is much less flexible. Eg. with copy-and-paste I can move different parts of a note into a new note.

Haven’t ruled it out, but needs more discussion if we are going to make the menus even longer.

I do understand you want to avoid menu clutter, but I think splitting a note would be much more convenient that copy and paste in some scenarios - especially if there was a keyboard command, perhaps even a markdown type command like ===== splitting a note and putting the first line of the text below into the title field of the new note.

I see it being particularly useful when one is arranging a lot of information that one has captured quickly, eg notes of a meeting or a braindump, where you don’t want to waste time or to lose focus, by worrying about making sense of what you are writing, you just want to get it down.

In those circumstances I end up with a long note and then then copy and paste within the note and add headings to structure it. The very last job would be to hitting ==== to split the note would be fast and intuitive. At that point creating new notes and copying pasting feels like a lot of unnecessary work.

But I may be doing special pleading for a rare use case!

Look forward to seeing how Agenda evolves. Agenda is an essential part of my workflow and apart from some things already in the ‘features we are working on’ list, it’s prety much ideal! (Apart from splitting notes :wink:)

1 Like

This would be the coolest workflow for me too.

Looking at this in 2020 when searching for splitting notes I am not sure where the development lead meanwhile …

I believe people have greatly different ways to handle their data. Mine is like @trebso and I am strongly longing for this feature to come.

perhaps the easiest way to implement multiple splitting

would be to apply the already existing algorithm for import to the very note you are working on. I.e you’d just need to insert the described triple dash at the desired break lines inbetween, hit some shortcut - and there you have created a set of new notes right in place.

Longing for such a feature to really shift all my work into Agenda

We do have horizontal rules working in an internal build, but I guess that is not what you are looking for. You want a full note split, right?

1 Like

@drewmccormack Thank you for answering: Not sure what you mean by horizontal rules … Sth like the markdown divider lines?

I was mainly wanting a workflow that enables me to quickly and semi-automatically split notes:

• starting from one note »prepared« with some dividing element (like triple dash) creating multiple notes.
  • Just the way your already existing import works. Not really anything new to code.
  • Simply allow Clipboard as import and there we go.

Perhaps more complicated on your part. Just my humble thoughts and wishes

There is always something new to code :wink:

You are right that it shouldn’t be a big project, but still plenty to think about. Eg. how do you trigger this? Does it work on both iOS and macOS? What UI etc on each? All with solutions, but never as simple as a few lines of code, I’m afraid.

HRs are indeed dividers. A line across the note. You can break things into sections. But that is separate to what you want.

1 Like

As a long time Scrivener user, this feature is way more useful than copy/paste. It just splits at the insertion point and it’s triggered with a shortcut (or menu item). So it’s pretty easy to bang through a longer piece of writing and split it. OR (just as importantly) just instinctively break the note as you’re writing.

Something more programatic (like — which normally indicates ah horizontal line in markup) certainly has its advantages.

Also WOOHOO horizontal rules :slight_smile: