Repeat events

I’ve only seen it with one particular note. I had created a note, then added an event to it due the day I created it, and finally I changed the event in Fantastical 3 to make it a recurring weekly event with no end date. When I returned to the note it was now associated to a date three weeks in the future.

I can reproduce this behavior.

@drewmccormack should I first create recurring events in Fantastical (or Calendar) and then add a note and assign that note to the first instance of the recurring event? I find the process of using notes associated with instances of recurring events a bit confusing.

Totally agree this could be tricky so wanted to check the behavior. With repeating events, the original event is still “there” - it’s still on my calendar for each instance of the repeating event. So from my perspective, the most recent occurance of the repeating event shouldn’t change dates on notes taken for past occurrences of the repeating event, if that makes sense.

I’m afraid this is not my area, so have messaged @mekentosj to take a look. I have a feeling calendar might represent all the recurring events as a single event in the data. If that were the case, it would make it much harder. But @mekentosj will know for sure.

1 Like

Are you also already on Ventura?

No, I’m on Monterey 12.4

What is the calendar platform you are both using (exchange, iCloud, etc)?

I’m using GSuite behind everything.

Hi there. I’m new around here and trying to figure things out. I thought Agenda would do exactly this–I mean, I thought this was the point. Here’s my context: We’re drowning in our two younger primary age daughters’ homework assignments. We’ve ended up keeping bullet journals to make sense, but that notebook can only be in one place at a time. So…

I’d like to create an event–maybe a test next week. I’d like to add notes, namely all the info from the teacher about it and the translations (we’re expats in Poland). Then I’d like the today/agenda/whatever it’s called to show that she needs to study for it–it could just have the name of the event, a link to the note, whatever–that part isn’t so important. It could just be a reminder of the event.

Again, I thought this is what Agenda would excel at. Otherwise, can’t we just put notes in our calendar, or use Reminders for To Dos and give them due dates, etc. etc. How can I make this happen, if at all?

Thanks.

It is better to think of Agenda as an extension to Calendar and Reminders. We deliberately don’t try to replace them, because we think a lot of people will use the standard calendar, and this approach also allows you to use other calendars that integrate with the operating system.

The way I would handle something with a due date, like an exam, is create a new event in calendar and link one or more notes to it. You can do this directly in Agenda if you have the premium features. If not, you create the event in Calendar, then link it in Agenda.

This gives you much more powerful note taking tools, while still having the reminders etc of the other apps, and the system integration of Apple apps. You can easily go from the calendar event to the note too, because we insert a link there.

You can also add notes to Calendar directly, but the editor is very basic, and there is not much space. Agenda gives you a lot more power in this way.

Thanks for that. It’s certainly a lovely place to take notes.