Refresh Agenda Timeline

Hello,

Would like to point out 2 issues here:

• how does the app refresh its timeline? There is no refresh feature, nor sync preference, so the calendar/reminder sync appears to be random. Sometimes it happens instantly, sometimes not even after minutes.
    For example: created a reminder in ios reminders, it shows in iOS Agenda, but not in Mac Agenda.
    (in other cases it shows instantly, ex. for other reminder items or from calendar, so it seems to be random)

• When adding a reminder from ios reminders app, with a date, but without a specific hour (like an all day reminder), it appears in the Agenda timeline always in the day before. So for example: reminders app item is on 7th July 2019, Agenda shows it on 6th (all day). Why it does not show on 7th (all day)?.
    Obs: if created from Agenda, the reminder shows correctly.

Update on this topic:

• for the first point - after app restart on mac, reminder syncs
  • for the second point - all day reminders showing in the day before in agenda happens also on mac, not just on ios

First thing that would be good to know, are you on 10.14/iOS12 or running the public betas of 10.15/iOS13? Asking because reminder refresh on 10.15 seems partially broken at least in beta2.

how does the app refresh its timeline?

We refresh automatically if the system informs us the underlying event store (to which Calendar and Reminders talk to as well) updates. On Mac this generally should be instantly (but not on 10.15 where it seems broken), on iOS it seems to be slower and has more to do with making sure the Reminders app has been active, then it’s fast, otherwise it can take a minute in some cases (seems related to battery saving).

When adding a reminder from ios reminders app, with a date, but without a specific hour (like an all day reminder), it appears in the Agenda timeline always in the day before.

We indeed have to dig deeper into all-day reminders and how the Reminders app deals with those. It’s on our to-do list.

I am using both mac catalina and ios 13 public betas. So might be from here, indeed.

Regarding the all day reminders, what i suspected in the first place, is that it might have to do with the way that the alerts are set. For example, the default setting in calendar for all day events, is the day before. But anyway, even with alerts being set for the same day, it still behaves the same.

OK, thanks, that clarifies things indeed, we’ll dive into the all-day aspect.

Hi, I also have the habit/necessity of frequently restarting the Agenda app on Mac because the calendar entries aren’t showing up otherwise. I use Fantastical as my calendar app and non-iCloud calendar stores, so the macOS calendar doesn’t always get the memo about changes or new entries, and neither does Agenda.

I’d love to have a “sync now” button for Agenda to force a refresh.

Maik

We use the shared calendar store, which is a database shared by apps, including Apple’s Calendar app. If you see the event appear in Calendar, it should then appear immediately in Agenda too, because it is the same database.

Sounds like Fantastical is not updating that shared calendar quickly for some reason. Not sure if there are settings for that, or if you can send a question to them about it.

I have a feeling that Fantastical may only update the calendar in the cloud, and then it is up to the Calendar app to download that change, which could explain the delay.