PDF Annotation with Apple Pencil

So excited to have Apple Pencil support in 8.0! It’s great to annotate imported images. Would it be possible to see PDF annotation in future releases of Agenda?

10 Likes

Definitely something we’d like to explore indeed, we need to think how this also fits with the system markup tool and editable attachments though. Stay tuned!

4 Likes

I don’t understand why image yes and pdf not

I’ll add my vote for PDF annotation, it would be much more useful to me than image annotation. It would also make Agenda a much more important part of my workflow, since many documents associated with dated events (meetings, etc) are PDFs.

If not, then at least implement “edit in place” capabilities so I can use other apps to annotate it instead of a copy, which I would then have to attach to the note while deleting the original.

1 Like

That’s simply of technical nature, first on iOS the system doesn’t treat PDFs as an image, on macOS it does and it makes things simpler. Second, PDFs can be multi-page, which too brings some additional complications over a single image. Lastly, if we bring annotation abilities to PDF you’d also like those to be compatible with the PDF specification, in that you could open those PDFs in preview and see them there as well as true PDF annotations. This is actually the most complicated part. It’s all doable, and we would like to do it, but needs some time and effort I’m afraid.

3 Likes

Likewise on your own wishlist, but also requirement a surprising amount of gotchas to deal with.

2 Likes

I figured implementing your own annotation engine would be a pretty significant undertaking, which is why I suggested the “edit in place” option. (But maybe that’s a problem too? I guess maybe it depends on where you are storing attached file…)

Indeed the edit in place is something we’d like to do as it would apply to any attachment. It’s quite complicated though to do it in a foolproof and safe way, so something that will take us some time to get right.

Please, insert this feature. In my workflow pdf markup with pencil is happening on almost any pdf. Congrats for the software. I’m still testing but I believe I’ll buy premium version, Regards

1 Like

I really need take notes in the pdf with apple pencil, this is a big problem that until be ready I need to swich again to another app and sadly leave Agenda again…

Can you tell a bit more what kind of PDFs these are and what app or source they come from?

I would really like it if guys could make pdf markups available in the app this feature would be a great addition and one that would help me keep my projects better organized, also if you could add some kind of grid or sheets so I could so I could make hand written notes

We have someone working on PDF markup now. Hopefully they will make some progress there.

The grid lines are certainly a common request. Will see if we can do something. Thanks for the feedback!

Hi, This there any timeline to have PDF markup completed? I love agenda but not having PDF mark up means i need to split my workflow over too many apps to be efficient.
Thanks!

Should be in the next major release. I think work on it has actually already finished.

2 Likes

Any updates on the grid lines for being able to write in the app?

Grid lines won’t be in the next release, but are high on the list. Hope to get to them sooner rather than later.

Hi, Any update on when this is coming?

Good news, it will be part of the upcoming Agenda 14 update :tada:

3 Likes

Update: Agenda 14 is now available with support for showing lines or grids while drawing and adding mark-up to PDFs.