Pasted URLs are evaluated like Markdown

What I did: I wrote the URL https://example.com/chunk_chunk_chunk, selected it, copied it, and pasted it into Agenda 1.4.

What happened: The underscores in the URL were interpreted as Markdown, rendering the URL like example.com/chunk_chunk_chunk with the middle “chunk” italicized. When I click that URL in Agenda or copy-and-paste it, it comes out like example.com/chunkchunkchunk (missing the italics).

What I expected: Agenda would handle the URL like preformatted text and not Markdown. I discovered this while troubleshooting a work problem, and finding out only later that the URLs I’d collected were damaged and led to 404 errors.

Things that might be helpful to know (Agenda version, OS and model, etc): I found this under Agenda 1.3, but it’s still a problem in 1.4. I’m on macOS 10.13.3 on a 2015 MBP.

Sorry, the forum software detected my example’s URL and rendered it as an actual URL. This is a screenshot of what it actually looks like:

Thanks. We will fix this. It seems it is really only a problem with paste, so a workaround for now is to type in the URL when it has this problem. Not ideal, but you can at least add it.

Thanks for confirming!

I might mention, though, that URLs containing “_” are most likely to be the long, ugly ones that I’d vastly rather paste than type. The actual URL that first triggered this was a link to New Relic monitoring and was 120 characters long. I’d much prefer not to hand-enter that. :slight_smile:

You’re right and it really is a workaround for something we’ll fix in a next update.

2 Likes

Just +1-ing this. Had the exact same thing happen with a code paste today. First example was typed, second pasted.

Also I had indicated that I wanted preformatted text via the " ` " leading character

agenda-markup

Starting from today’s 2.0 update, pasted URLs should no longer be parsed for markdown and loose underscores. We have also made recognising underscores as markdown instructions for italic more strict, requiring a preceding/following space or punctuation character.

Woo-hoo! Thanks!

1 Like