Occassionally events don’t show in Agenda calendar

What I did:

Nealry missed a meeting because the event didn’t appear in the calendar section of Agenda - despite showing in Fantastical. Other events are fine. I’ve restarted and it now appears.

I noticed it on the Mac, but when I checked ipad and iphone, the event was missing there too.

It’s occassionally happened before, but there didn’t seem to be anything unusual about the vent or the way i created it.

Things that might be helpful to know (Agenda version, OS and model, etc):
Mac 11.2.1, Agenda 12.0.2

This has almost certainly to do with when and how the system syncs the system calendar. If you use Fantastical it talks directly to the calendar service you use and bypasses the system calendar app. Just like fetching email, the system syncs on its own rhythm and hence it can take a bit of time for such events to make the full round trip.

Thanks, that’s useful to know but a bit worrying. I’d assumed that as I use Apple’s calendar system it would be more integrated.

Well that’s what I’m trying to say, when you use Fantastical you don’t really use Apple’s calendar, instead it talks directly through the calendar server as opposed to the system calendar app, which then talks to the server (like Agenda does).

Fantastical bypasses the Calendar app and talks directly to the server.

It could be that the system calendar store updates more if the Calendar app is running. I am not sure, but perhaps you could leave that running in the background just to ensure the store is up to date.

There is not really anything we can do on our end. The store is completely under Apple’s control.

1 Like

I also had this problem suddenly. Agenda was working properly, then my entries dissapeared. I too am using fantastical - and I thought that was was the problem. I’ve since tried to exclusively use ical and it does not work. Don’t know what’s going on because it was working fine - it just quit, and now calendar entries do not populate in Agenda. Advice?

If you open Calendar app, do you see your entries? Does opening Calendar app fix the problem in Agenda?

Very likely you need to renew (turn on/off) or re-authenticate your calendar settings in the system preferences and/or settings app. Does this help?

Clarification: this problem with Agenda exists only on my desktop. I works fine on my phone, but obviously working on a phone full-time is not an ideal environment.

my current work flow:

1. enter fantastical events on desktop
  2. Open agenda on my phone.
  3. Create identical entry into Agenda (on phone)
  4. Search for populated fantastical entry and LINK entry in Agenda (on phone)
  5. Open agenda on desktop.
    The event will be linked to the event in Fantastical, but I must use my phone as a “bridge” because the calendar events do not show up in Agendas sidebar calendar - as if I’ve never added my calendar to the system.

I have deleted and reinstalled the calendar in Agenda and on my desktop (it’s a Google calendar if that matters), and power cycled my computer.

I’m out of ideas.

Thanks in advance for the help.

This is because Fantastical communicates directly with the calendar service and doesn’t use the system service that the system calendar app and Agenda use. If you however configure (in addition to inside Fantastical) the calendar settings also in the system preferences under accounts, the events will appear not only in Fantastical but also in the system calendar app and Agenda.