Natural Language Support

There is a query re this, but no responses. Here’s an example of NLS feature TickTick and Wunderlist have:
you type: “Turn in draft to editor at 3 on Monday” and the app magically makes it a task with the correct deadline.

This is a basic feature in other apps and I’m surprised it isn’t here. If it is, please show me where to enable it.

We don’t believe this makes for a great fit in Agenda. In contrast to a todo or calendar app, in a note taking app things are usually not captured in a single sentence. “Turn in draft to editor at 3 on Monday” would usually be something you would type in a larger note rather than it being an entire note.

Having said that, we do give you something similar using the reminders feature. You could for example type:

Turn in draft to editor \remind(monday at 3)

and it would convert into Turn in draft to editor plus a reminder icon representing a reminder created for you at 3 on monday.

Thanks for letting me know. I thought I had seen something about “parsing” on the website, but probably not concerning this.

I will try out your suggestion re NLS.

Another question re scheduling: How can I set Agenda so that when I type a new item, the time and date dialog box opens automatically. Right now, it seems that I clicking the gear icon only enables a date. I then have to go to the “+” sign for the dialog box tthat allows me to set date, time, alerts etc.

And as long as i’m on the subject, I think you need to replace this “+” sign with another icon. It took me a week to realize that this is not adding a new event as the + does in iCal. I don’t know if other apple users have discussed this and couldn’t find on Community.

Regards
Victor

It sounds like you are still mixing concepts a bit, probably because you look for Agenda to work like the other todo managers you mention while Agenda is a note taking app.

You can assign a date to a note or link an event to a note. Only in the latter case you get an associated time, when assigning a date to a note we don’t go beyond the granularity of a single day. The reasoning is that either the note pertains to a certain day or day range, or it pertains to a specific event that had an exact time as well. It’s also perfectly fine to have notes that don’t pertain to any specific date or event at all and that remain “date less”, hence we don’t enforce the user to having to add a date. You can use the keyboard shortcuts and preferences to either open the dialog or even automatically assign today to any new note, respectively.

The plus sign you refer to (assuming it’s the one in the popup dialog when clicking the note’s date icon) does in fact add an event to your calendar, the plus sign therefore seems appropriate. What it also does after creating the event is to then go ahead and link your note to the newly created event, leading to the note receiving the now linked event’s date and time. Hope this helps.

1 Like