My silly little quick tip for the easily distracted: \remind(1m)

This seems so small that it’s silly to even discuss, but I use it all the time.

I’m the sort of person who is easily distracted – it’s seemingly part of my nature, plus life throws lots of interruptions my way! So I benefit from a super ridiculously obvious way of answering “what am I working on at this moment?” So when I’m distracted, I can remember to go back to it.

My solution: in any agenda note, type \remind(1m) to create a reminder one minute from now.

One killer feature of Apple Reminders is that they persist. When they show up on my phone, they stay on the screen until I explicitly clear them. All other apps have their reminders clear away after viewing them one time.

When I’m on my Mac, I don’t need the reminder in the corner of the screen – so I clear it out, and look at the side bar in Agenda for the now-overdue reminder.

Bonus tip: I usually have a “today” note. The other thing I do is add a :dart: prefix to the item I’m currently working on, so I can find it just by glancing at the note. Then I don’t need the reminder.

Another bonus tip :slight_smile: I use a #focus tag to create a “mini agenda” of related notes for the item I’m working on, that way I don’t have to look at any unrelated notes (they still distract me even if they’re collapsed OTA). My top smart overview is for this tag.

10 Likes

Awesome tips, seems simple enough but I can see how they make a use difference!

1 Like