Markdown - Export and then Import - Lost Dates

What I did:

• Create a project with three sample notes. Two of the notes are assigned a range. One a single date.

• Search works as expected by date and keywords.

• Exported to Markdown.

• Removed the sample notes and empty trash.

• Import the exported markdown file.

What happened:

• Note body content is what I expected.

What I expected:

• The date ranges where not assigned to the note. Only the first date.
  • The date does not visually appear assigned in the upper left.
  • The search works for keywords.
  • The search for date does not work.

Things that might be helpful to know (Agenda version, OS and model, etc):

• Version 11.2 (158)
  • OS X 10.15.7 (19H15)

Sample.md (407 Bytes)

Markdown has no support for dates. It is a simple text format, with some styling and list options.

We do insert dates on export, but not with the purpose of reimporting. If you need a format for reimporting or sending to another Agenda user, the best is the Agenda Format. It keeps the most data intact.

The search etc does not work, because the reimported notes don’t actually have a date. They just have title text with some date text in them. To assign a real date, you need to use the calendar button top-right on the note. Once you set that, it will appear in searches.

Kind regards,
Drew

Thank you for the response. I’m trying to find an import format that will also import the original create date. Reading through the community posts, I found this post Importing from Evernote. This post implies support of creation dates with Evernote ENEX files.

I’ve created 3 sample notes in Evernote and exported them to ENEX files. I’ve then imported to Agenda and have the same issue as the Markdown; dates are not visible or searchable. In the case of Evernote, the created date doesn’t even appear as it did with Markdown.

Is the Evernote format supposed to set the create date as the solution post implies?

Small Sample File Attached - Rename to .enex

sample.txt (3.0 KB)

The creation date is not the date that appears on your Agenda notes. The date that appears in Agenda is any date you choose for that note. You can even change it at any time you like. So it is not the creation date.

I investigated more, and it seems we do allow some support for dates in markdown after all. The formats are like this:

# FIL Lisbon Design -- 18 - 23 Oct 2017
# Stay at Formosa Park Apartment Hotel -- 26 Jul 2017 - 7 Aug 2017
# Holidays Algarve -- 15 Jul 2017
# Change Manuscripts IBAN -- 8 Nov 2017, 13:30 - 14:30

You give a title, and two hyphens, and then the date as shown. Note that you have to use hyphens, not other types of dashes. If is is not working properly, it could be because the note has the wrong type of dash. Use the standard short hyphen.