Links to files on mac

I have been using MacOS Notes to deal with projects in the past and put links to files I am working on for the project in the note (or group of notes). I can open them from the note edit and it is saved back to the original file. Agenda does not seem to have this ability which is a serious drawback. I tried using aliases but they dont work.
Does anyone have a good workaround for this? Surely if Apple can do it in a free app, it should be possible in Agenda.

Agenda has two possibilities:

1. You can drag a note from Finder to make an attachment. These attachments are not editable, but you can view them.
  2. You can create a link to a file by dragging and holding down CTRL as you drop the file. This creates a link, which will take you to the original file which you can then edit.

Apple is the World’s most valuable company. We are two guys working in our bedrooms. “Free app” has nothing to do with anything. Facebook is “free” too.

10 Likes

Thanks Drew,
Maybe I missed it but dropping with CTRL is a viable work around whereas 1. is not for many situations.
I agree Apple is big but a replacement app must offer adequate additional functionality to justify purchase (which I did) without losing significant capabilities of the reference. It would be great if you can implement full openable links in due course.
Cheers and keep up the good work.

Thanks for the feedback! Reproducing all features of an app made by an Apple or Microsoft is very difficult for a small independent company with a few developers. What you get instead is some different take or angle on the solution.

Eg. We focus on dates, and a timeline of notes. Bear has a strong emphasis on a tag grouping, markdown, very simple interface, etc. All the independents have some twist on what Apple does, because if you just make a copy of Apple Notes or Evernote, why would anyone use your app?

So Agenda is special in its focus. This appeals to some, and those people will prefer it over Apple Notes even if not every Apple Note feature is in Agenda.

We strive to include Apple Notes features too, but it isn’t viable to get them all into Agenda in the few years we have been developing the app. We’ll see what we can add in future.

Kind regards,
Drew

1 Like

Could you tell us how you did that?

I believe many people here use Hook to make links to files:

If you want to link to mails, too, you can get the URL of an individual message. I’m not sure whether that is native to the Mail app or if I’m getting it thanks to MailSuite:

Yes hook is an excellent tool for getting links to files - you can rename and move the files around, with no problems.

Another possibility is to use iCloud sharing. It’s a bit lengthy, but it works.

was looking for a Solution for links to a file. Drag&drop with works great!

1 Like

I’ve been using the paper clip from the tool palette to link to files. I didn’t realize though it was only being saved in Agenda and not the actual file I had linked to, not until I uploaded the those files. Patches and fixest to the system wasn’t being applied and when I look into the files my chages were not there.

I see I can use the CTRL drag and drop like you mentioned. It will open up File app so I can click on the file to open. I really like being able to click on the links made with the paper clip because it opens the app with the file. It flows really nice. This was a good work around since Apple won’t let apps open files via links.

Is it possible to add a Save (Export) function to the Attached File menu (when you right click on the attachment made with the paper clip)? So the changes made with the attach file made with the paper clip can be exported to the file system. For software work (vintage 80-90 process control) this would be really helpful.

But now that I know about this, I can work around it to and keep my files updated before uploading.

You two have developed an awesome app here, it has been a tremendous help to me.
Thank You !!
Jeff

Hi Jeff,
It’s a good point. It probably would be nice to be able to open the linked file directly from Agenda. I believe the challenge is that our app doesn’t have permission to do that. The best we can do is allow the Finder to show you the file. In the beginning, I know we did look into this quite a bit, but I think this was the best we could do in a “sandboxed” app like those in the App Store.
Thanks for the feedback!
Kind regards,
Drew

Thanks for the reply back Drew.

I do remember going through the threads a year or two ago that your hands were tied in this respect and the best solution was to direct one to where the file resided.
When I saw the attachment icon I thought oh wow, they found a way…awesome. But this attachment is different from linking to a file. The attachment file does automatically open an app which is really nice. Whereas the linked file directs you to where the file resides.

This morning after I read your reply there was no mention of the idea of exporting the attachment file. Then I thought what if I saved the attachment file by doing a Save As instead of Save from the app that opened it.

This worked…it saved a copy of the file I had attached with Agenda’s paper clip to my Mac with all the changes I been working on. Whew…life saver, I thought I was going to have to open each attachment and copy the contents to another file (there’s 62 of them). Although I do have a mess to clean up because some changes are on attached files and others on the Mac. It’s all good though…half the battle is knowing.

I believe this is a good work around when one needs a copy of the attached file to the hdd.

Thank You
Jeff

1 Like

Yes, the attachments that are embedded in Agenda are kept in a folder where Agenda is allowed to access them. But Agenda is not able to access folders outside its sandbox, even if it has the URL.

Glad you found a workaround.

Kind regards,
Drew