Linking notes to dates is fantastic, but it’s not enough if Agenda doesn't look better

Now you’re not being fair. The screen shot you show of Bear is not representative. In it, it’s the content of the document that is messy - not the UI of the app.

A focus mode sounds great, though!

Choosing accent color is a feature of Agenda on iOS, not Agemda for MacOS, if I understand it correctly. The only way to change accent color on Mac is to change the appearane of my whole computer, but I want my computer to look the way it does. If I could change the appearance for Agenda, I would happily do so.

In it, it’s the content of the document that is messy

My argument was merely that you were comparing apples and pears, the example you showed for bear didn’t contain headers and lists etc either, so naturally it looks a lot cleaner. Similarly you show the inspector in the Agenda screenshot, which also adds busy-ness that is not there in the Bear screenshot. Plus you showed a screenshot where the default red highlight color is not present. So in many ways, the screenshot I showed is more comparable IMHO.

Choosing accent color is a feature of Agenda on iOS, not Agemda for MacOS, if I understand it correctly.

Indeed, there’s currently no way to change this independently of the OS I’m afraid.

1 Like

The attraction of Agenda for me was the date/calendar orientation, but as you put well, there is just to much busyness to deal with to compensate for the ability to link a note to a date. Even the note title (on my iPhone at least) has so much in it it is unreadable. I keep looking but for now will stick with Bear and just link notes I want “dated” to my Fantastical app.

This is something we will address later this year.

2 Likes

I disagree, but should have included a list in my example. Anyway - I am not here to nitpick on details. I think that you have created a very interesting app - one based on a real innovation - so I’m impressed. I like Agenda. I just don’t like it’s design language. I just wanted t make that as clear as possible, so that you could decide if there’s something to it, or if you prefer to go the “maximalist” way.

There’s not necessarily something wrong with having icons and features everywhere - I mean look at Microsoft Office - it is one of the best selling pieces of software ever and it uses the same strategy.

Keep up the good work!

2 Likes

+1 for focus mode / zen mode similar to MS Word or VS Code

here were a few aspects that attracted me to Agenda. The user interface is just gorgeous! I like that I can change accented colors any old time. And in dark mode- WOW! The left hand and right hand information can be slid out of the way. So I truly don’t understand how it can be seen as cluttered.

It is designed to make it easy. Attaching the notes to dates is quite innovative.

Since I didn’t design Agenda, I adapt to it. Not the other way around!

I don’t know many notes apps I have, especially since I can use my trusty Apple :green_apple: Pencil. I even doodle in Agenda!

I tried Bear and just didn’t care for it at all. Matter of preference and I am leery of the money grabbing subscription apps, mostly on principle.

But basically I just use two- Agenda and Things. I think I’ll use Things less once I will be able to share and get my info into Agenda. My hunch is I’ll rely a LOT more on Agenda. Things doesn’t seem to be evolving much (eg, I’d like to get pictures and photos in there).

Plus I won’t have to worry about getting my personal info caught up in an app I have to continuously pay to use!

I no longer use Day One as well. I never upgraded it because it’s cost prohibitive and it is not backed up in Icloud but rather with their own. My journal? Nah: I don’t think so! (Apple is huge on privacy). I have been using Agenda for a journal since I bought it.

There are features in Agenda that I’ve only scratched the surface on yet I just jumped right in; it’s highly intuitive!

Sounds like I need to review Agenda! Keep up the great work, Agenda!

2 Likes