Link to event lost when moving event in Calendar app

What I did:
Created a note in Agenda.
Added a new event to Calendar from within Agenda.
Linked the event to the note.
Moved the event within the Calendar app to another day.

What happened:
Event appears in the Calendar app.
Note linked to the Event within Agenda.
After moving the event the link between the note and event was lost.

What I expected:
That the event and note remain connected / linked when updating an event in Calendar app.

Things that might be helpful to know (Agenda version, OS and model, etc):
ipadOS on iPad Pro

Same thing happend to me yesterday. I did move two appointments in Outlook on my Windows at work (synced Exchange calendar).

At first the connection tp the notes in Agenda was working correctly (on all my Apple devices), but after the reschedule in Outlook the link in the description seems to be lost.

Sorry to hear that, unfortunately this is related to using Outlook and how Apple gives us access to calendar events. Outlook is always giving new identifiers for events when they are moved and Apple doesn’t give us a stable identifier either, which means we have to try and locate the event after it has been moved. Depending on how many events and how they have been modified (like if changing the title in addition to the date) this can mean that in the worst case the link can be lost :frowning:

Thanks for your reply and explanation. A bit surprised to hear that your integration and linking information to Calendar events isn’t as rock solid as we would like it to be.

As this is a key feature or even the core concept of Agenda, I would like to know what best practices you would suggest. Should I work with just one calendar for tasks, which should be Apple-based? And, should rescheduling etcetera be done from the Agenda interface?

In addition to my previous reply:

Is it possible to let Agenda actively notify me as a user when a previously known connection to an event is lost or couldn’t be updated?

It would help a lot in the process of manually reconnecting information item(s) to the corresponding Calendar event (or Reminder if the same goes here).

Still curious if this would be possible…? Would help a lot to keep track.

Alas, the issue is that if we would know the link would be broken, we’d also probably would have the info to fix it…

…, which means we have to try and locate the event after it has been moved.

This explanation made me think, that you already did some sanity check when loading or reloading. If that would be the case then a broken or unresolved link could show a notification.

Maybe a solution worthwhile to investigate, especially when there are a lot of Outlook / Exchange users out there on Mac, too.

The issue is that we can’t at the moment distinguish between a broken link and a deleted event, both appear the same way. Which means you can’t flag missing events as broken links as in most cases they are valid deleted events by the users.

Would it be a problem for the user to be presented with a popup that offers to ‘relink’ items that appear to be broken and ‘dismiss’ (remove link) all others?

I know, this could be easier said then done :wink: but I hope you’re willing to find a neat solution here, because it would make Agenda even better and trustworthy at this particular point.

Not really I’m afraid, as said, it would then presented that dialog each time you would delete an event in the calendar.

Yep…

1. Just keep note (default)
  2. Re-link note (to other event)
  3. Delete note (for cleaning up)

And…

Apply to all selected notes (if multiple events)

Don’t think that makes sense as we never delete notes when an event gets deleted.

I’m sorry I’ve mentioned this short-coming in the first place, but even more that I’ve tried to think with you in finding a neat fix.

Maybe some day you’ll find a better solution, until then I’ll have to think about a way to prevent losing track on things on my Agenda. Because lost connections to Calendar events seems to happens too often. Especially on mobile.

Regards,
Maik

Absolutely no need to apologise, on the contrary, it’s very much appreciate. Unfortunately it’s more for technical reasons that it’s hard to come up with a good solution without turning the default situation into a bad user experience :frowning: