Left column (project/categories)

Hello,
many of my project titles are long, too long to get shown complete.
So I found out that the left column has a max. width (not enough to show long titles).
My wish: to make the width of the left column to 100% flexible.
Greetings from Reykjavík,
Claus

How much wider would you need it (1.5x, 2x, 3x), it’s unlikely we’ll add no limit at all.

1,5x or (better) 2x is enough. A very long title looks like this one: 2018-025 Die Haustiere und der blaue Bäcker (Jumpberger, 212)
I know it is a long title.

Just to point out, you can mouse over the title, and have it appear as a tooltip.

Something I wanted to ask: if you have titles truncated, do you prefer them truncated at the end, or in the middle?

Kind regards,
Drew

The “Mouse over” helps, but :wink: the tooltip could appears little bit „late“. could be faster.
About the question: I do not understand what you mean with „truncated at the end“?!

When I say “truncated at the end”, I mean that the title “Somewhere over the rainbow” would become “Somewhere over…”. An alternative would be to truncate in the middle, to “Somewhere … rainbow”.

Ah, ok. I prefer to truncate the title at the end.

Quick update: The next update should allow for a wider sourcelist.

1 Like

I may have asked thiis before, but I would very much favor more than just the two levels. In other words, right now you have category and project. I’d like to see category, project and sub-project. This seems to be very common in “notes” applications and it REALLY makes for better organization. I have worked around it, but it’s been a little challenging transferring things from Apple Notes, for instance, where I have a category of COMPANY, projects of Operations, Development, Marketing and Clients. Then sub-projects for each client under the Client project.

Hopefully this is on a wish list somewhere.

Subcategories is something we indeed might add in the future, thanks for the feedback.

1 Like

Has this feature request moved up any on the ToDo list? :crossed_fingers:

It seems so indeed :wink:

1 Like

Perhaps it would be worthwhile to wrap long project names in the projects list, rather than elide them?

Will we be able to search across an entire category and its subcategories? And also constrain searches to a single subcategory?

Perhaps it would be worthwhile to wrap long project names in the projects list, rather than elide them?

We hope to do this in the note list with notes titles, in the sidebar it’s highly uncommon to do so and we have no plans there I’m afraid.

Will we be able to search across an entire category and its subcategories? And also constrain searches to a single subcategory?

Like there’s no way to limit your search to a category today, there won’t be one in this update yet either. This is something we’d like to add down the road when we would like to improve on the search features.

:scream_cat::facepunch:…didn’t expect That!

2 Likes

:heart_eyes::star_struck::smiley:

1 Like

Has there been any thought given to expanding the column width now that we have sub-categories. The ‘compressed’ nature of the column doesn’t appeal to me visually. As I scan down the column, I can not easily visualize the distinction for Category>Sub-category>Project. For me it’s a matter of both indentation space, font size and whether bold (or not). I am more than willing to sacrifice Note width for a user Column width selection in Preferences (similar to Font Size and Line Spacing). :crossed_fingers:

I assume you refer to iOS given you can change the width on mac? Unfortunately there are a number of implications to take into account (like the huge variety of screen sizes, whether notes + sidebar would still fit on screen etc).