iPad Pro pencil

Up, sorry about my english, I’m sure is not the better: English is not my natural language.

I understand your confusion, my point is exactly:

• write inline and have it stay handwritten text

About:

• be able to go in a mode equivalent to bringing up the keyboard, hand write your text and have that inserted as typed text

I think is not a great idea… because it would do more difficult insert text and images with the Apple Pencil at the same time.

• or have it become an image of your handwriting?

:thinking: Similar to how it is done in Noted app… I think it can be good but it would be insufficient.

• or do you expect to be able to write in-line in the note and have your writing be converted to typed text?

My opinion is that it is not necessary to do the recognition of writing to typed text. I would even think that it would not be advisable because with my Pencil I can write (express) my notes with the aspect that I would like them to have at the end (underline, colors, highlights, etc).

I’m doing my best effort to try explain (the best that I can) how I see Agenda. To me, Agenda is almost perfect app, only I need the adequate support of the Pencil on the iPad AND one list of notes inside a Project at left margin.

In other words and simplifying a lot: a mix of Notes app with your project conception (better in 9.0 beta version) and most important with your awesome idea about calendar and reminder linked with notes.

I’m sure in a short 15 minutes meeting speaking Spanish it would be enough, but I think that I explain myself better every time.

Thanks, thanks a lot.

… and it’s pretty unfair to pay for Nebo and then have to pay for it again to use it inside another application.

iPadOS 14… We can finally write with the Apple Pencil in the Agenda app!!!

@drewmccormack @mekentosj

1 Like

Yay! Indeed. Will be a priority for the iOS 14 release in September/October.

2 Likes

Excellent news. I am using it with the Agenda production release now and it works almost perfectly.

The only issue I’ve noticed is the lack of a new line / carriage return gesture — so I have to tap the end of the translated line and use the soft keyboard return key to advance to the next line. I’ve looked at the Scribble tips and searched the web but see no gesture for new line / carriage return.

Hopefully either the Apple or Agenda implementation will care for this apparent Scribble shortcoming.

@drewmccormack, is this on your radar? Is there an established Agenda / iPadOS 14 Beta timeline where this might be addressed?

I think this feature will be a major advancement for Agenda. And thank you for the foresight to wait for Apple to make this move vs trying to integrate a Third Party HWR solution (as I and others had requested … this just shows why we should listen to you and the other smart people in the room :nerd_face:).

Fun times!

1 Like

I don’t think we can influence the internal working of Scribble much, to add a newline gesture. But I will report to Apple that it is something they should add. You never know, they may get it in there.

As for a timeline, probably nothing before August, I’m afraid. We are finishing off version 11 in the coming weeks, and then winding down for the summer break. Will be back at full steam on the new WWDC stuff in late July/August.

Search for CatalystTwo in the iPad App Store, then select the “Handwriting” app. Here’s the link:

Please note that won’t find it if you search on your iPhone.

Also, the new iOS 14 Beta Scribble feature is the best HWR on iPad. The only issue is lack of a carriage return / new line gesture — so you have to tap the end of the line of converted text to invoke the soft keyboard then press the Return key to create a new line; however I’m using it regularly with Agenda and like it much better than any other currently available HWR input method. It is much more accurate.

Thanks @drewmccormack. If Apple doesn’t add a new line gesture to Scribble, is it possible to add a new line feature/icon to the iPadOS Agenda toolbar as a workaround?

@drewmccormack, thank you for posting the Scribble Newline gesture question in Apple Developer Communities (I saw it!). I’ve scoured the internet — including locating an Apple Newton User Guide — searching for a Scribble or Newton newline gesture. No joy!

However, I did find a “workable’ workaround — the Scribble Control Panel! It actually includes a newline button! See image below (no attempt made to correct the few HWR errors).

I hope Apple will add the gesture, but my gut tells me that may be more complicated than it appears because the Newton did not have a newline gesture. Instead, it relied on the user tapping on the carat (^) that would appear at the end of a translated line to invoke a set of tappable options that included a newline button. I’m interpreting this as a potential patent gap since a newline gesture would have been more intuitive.

In any case, the Scribble Control Panel is becoming more “natural” with use.

As I’m not running the iPadOS 14 beta then my POOR understanding is that there’s two ways to add a new line with Scribble:

FIRST OPTION
Just like with Nebo, add a vertical line in between the last character and before whatever text follows; one first vertical line for adding a blank in-line space and then a second vertical line for the carriage return you seek

SECOND OPTION
In between two words, tap and hold on the blank space. All the text afterwards jumps one line forward in order to let you insert new text; once converted automatically to typed text, what got pushed down jumps back to the original position after inserting the text.

Video explains this better (from 04:07 to 04:32):

By the way, Scribble is for now available only for three languages: English, Chinese (both systems) and Cantonese. Hopefully, when iPadOS 14 is published, perhaps more languages will be supported ???

See at 01:37 mark here:

@joseantoniolopezpaye unfortunately, none of those options inserts a new line.

Thanks for the info. Useful, though seems like it might not solve all the problems.

Re: languages. Don’t hold your breath there. I suspect it is quite a task to train the recognition engine for a new language. Apple will probably add more next year.

Nebo - recognition of handwritten notes for Polish language works perfect. If I could have it in Agenda I’ll be more than happy :slight_smile: I know I’m referring to quite old posts but I did try to write something with Apple Pencil in Agenda today and it is not working for Polish at all :frowning: I got some hope that it will be possible in future. Would be good if I could link my Nebo handwritten note to Agenda note, just to see it in one place.

Apple only support Chinese and English at this point, but more languages are coming.

Nebo is commercial. They have their own engine, which is expensive to license. We don’t want to have to raise our prices to do that, so we are sticking with Apple, and hope they improve things going forward.

Thanks for the feedback!

I love Nebo as well (if they only recognized Hebrew!). I’ve been writing in Nebo and sharing to Agenda to store the notes. It isn’t perfectly seamless but it works for me.

Hi. What do you mean by sharing? Can you describe your process step by step?

As far as I know you can run Nebo as a separate app, and move the text into Agenda when it is written.

There are also keyboards you can write on to enter text directly into Agenda on iOS. Eg Marzec. Quite a few discussions on this in the community, with links to various tools.

Start here-

2 posts were split to a new topic: Markup on PDFs

My unexpected use of the Pencil v2 is to work painfully through the knots in my plantar fasciitis each morning prior to getting up.