iOS Shortcut - Import from Apple Notes on iOS

While this is only a proof of concept I played a bit with the Shortcuts app on iOS after these tweets from @EpicJeffTime on twitter:

Indeed on macOS we have a dedicated Apple Notes importer that allows you to import its notes into Agenda. Unfortunately this works with AppleScript and this is not available on iOS.

However, it turns out Apple Notes is supported in the Shortcuts app, and it is quite simple to create a workflow that imports your notes from Apple Notes into Agenda, making use of its x-callback-url support. As a proof of concept I quickly threw this together, but I’m sure that those with more experience have a lot more tricks on their sleeve to make an even better importer (for example taking the name from the note).

For those interested, you can download the above shortcut from here:
https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/b464662c8f6a4c649b7186f38016ce6f

1 Like

Hi, cool idea. I’ve drafted a more advanced version of the shortcut with variables for easier adjustments and a separate title.

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/79106a3b4fec490abf631b72c3b34603

But I‘ve encountered multiple issues due to the format of Apple Notes, when importing images, tables or even check lists. Do you have an idea, how to match the format between those two?

1 Like

I was hoping somebody more experienced with the Shortcuts app would pick it up, thanks!

But I‘ve encountered multiple issues due to the format of Apple Notes, when importing images, tables or even check lists. Do you have an idea, how to match the format between those two?

Unfortunately this is where things will fall short, I’m not sure what Apple Notes returns, does it even return the images at all (note that even on Mac it doesn’t do this properly through AppleScript)?

Nope, it just skips everything besides text. No formatting or anything else is used. Even the title is a little bit tricky, but at least doable.

Yeah, I was afraid of that, like I said even with the official AppleScript API on mac it is the same thing :frowning:

Maybe we’ve got more luck in the next version, iOS 13 isn’t that far away?

thanks for this very much!

i have so many notes in applenotes that not importing them into agenda is keeping me from using it :frowning:

when i run this script it seems to be doing something, but no notes are transferred?

it takes me into agenda, but thats it.

any help is very much appreciated!! :slight_smile:

pete

Are you using the latest version of Agenda? Also, are you using the first script or the one from Daniel?

You need a category that fits the import files first, so that Agenda can import the notes there.

I have the latest Agenda, using the updated script (fancier?) verison.

thanks,

pete

thanks! I created the Category spelled with capital I “Inbox” and it started to work - very cool !!

after each note imported, I have to return to the script for it to move to the next note - kind of bounces back and forth –
is there a way to have it run through the number of notes I set without my interaction on each one?

Nope, it can’t jump back to the next x-callback action without going back to shortcuts unfortunately, but with simple swiping between the last apps it’s real quick IMHO