iOS app crashes repeatedly, losing data

What I did: typing text with bullets

What happened: every once in a while (about 5x yesterday, 3x today) the app simply disappeared while typing, leaving me with my start screen on the ipad. When restarted, a good chunk (anywhere between 2-5 bullet items) were missing from the end of the note

What I expected: for it to at least preserve all entered information

Things that might be helpful to know (Agenda version, OS and model, etc): iPad Pro 2020, newest Agenda version, iOS 15.5

Hmm, that is very odd. Does the app ask you to upload a crash report when you next launch? Have you been doing that? The should help us find the issue.

It is odd that you would lose more than one line. All I can think is that the crash happens when saving the data to disk.

It is worth checking that your iPad has plenty of storage left.

If that is not it, see if there is a pattern in when it crashes. Is it a big note? Is it a particular note or project? Is it when you type certain characters or enter a particular action?

Kind regards,
Drew

Hi Drew,

the app just plopped out of existence when the crash happened. No crash report, no “report this to apple” or anything. Very disconcerting. If there is a location on the iPad that you expect logging or crash info to be stored, I’m happy to have a look.

Before you ask: I did end each of the open apps on the device to make sure it wasn’t an issue with available RAM. Unfortunately, that didn’t help.

As far as patterns go, I have an inkling that it was connected with hitting return and then tab to indent the next line - I type quite fast, so not sure if the tab key came too fast? I’m not 100% certain that this was the case every time it crashed, though.

I was at a training that went all day, so I was typing away furiously for hours on end… the crashes didn’t even come at regular intervals, sometimes a crash would happen not even 5 minutes after the previous, sometimes it might be 1/2h between instances.

BR Nick

Hmm, usually the app should ask you when you relaunch it after the crash if you want to send in the crash report.

I have found some crashes that all come from a single customer (can’t see who), which does fit the timing. It is during typing on an iPad too.

What I do see is that the crash happened many times before your email to us, but also happened occasionally before that, though nowhere near as often. In total it has probably crashed 30 times, but it is all one customer. Nobody else has the problem.

If this is the crash you had, it is probably related to the content of the note you are typing in. Maybe something is a little different there. If you can see something that might be the cause, let us know. If you do see the crash, perhaps try making a new note and continuing there, to see if it crashes again.

Kind regards,
Drew

Hi Drew,
I think we can assume that the multiple resets you saw for one customer was indeed my iPad. I wouldn’t have thought it was 30 times, but I was trying to concentrate on the course so who knows.

So if I’m the only customer with this issue, what might be the source of the problem? I would guess it has to do with my iPad somehow. What I find disconcerting is that a crash should lead to a form where I can input what happened, etc., but it doesn’t.

Also, I can’t find anything unusual about the notes that kept the crashing going on. Just a few headings, bullet points, a few URLs. No pictures or any other complication.

Happy to send you the notes in question if that is possible somehow?

Best regards,
Nick

Hi Nick,
We have been looking at it. It seems to be a problem in a note with special characters, like an emoji or accented character. Do you use anything like that?

We have a pretty good idea what the issue is, and should be able to fix it.

The crash form should show up in the Mac app. Unfortunately the reporter we use from Microsoft doesn’t bring up a form on iPad, though it does still send in the crash.

Kind regards,
Drew

Hi Drew,
I don’t use emojis in my notes, but I certainly use “umlaut” characters (as I sometimes write in German). Oddly, the two particular notes that caused the crashes were written in English - i.e. no special characters at all.

Best regards,
Nick

OK. Assuming I have found the right crash, it does look like a basic programmer error that we can fix. So we will see how that goes.

Hi Drew, just curious: has this been fixed? I just had the same thing happen during a 7h workshop with a customer… Thanks.

I believe it should have been fixed. We certainly did fix a bunch of things in the editor to do with unicode symbols that are twice as long (eg emojis, non-latin text).

Is there anything you can tell us about what you typed when the crash happened? Is it possible something else caused the crash?

Hi, unfortunately, I didn’t really note down anything that might have to do with the crash, as I was in a customer meeting. However, I was just typing in a note when it happened - as that happened before. I don’t even think I was typing any special characters (except for Umlaut characters that are part of German).
I only had Agenda open on the iPad, i.e. no split-screen or anything like that.
Isn’t something recorded somewhere on the iPad (log file?) if an app crashes?

Hi Nick, the emoji issues have definitely been fixed. Are/were you using Stage Manager?

Could you email us any crash logs still on your device? You can check by going into Settings > Privacy > Analytics & Improvements > Analytics Data when you tap a crash report prefixed with Agenda can you tap the export icon in the top right corner and email it to me at alex@agenda.com?