Integration with Mail

I’d love to see the ability to link to email messages similarly to how calendar items are linked. Saves me some cut & paste actions.

3 Likes

You can do that, I believe. Just drag the email into Agenda.

Drew

I just tried. It adds the subject of the mail but does not link it.

I just did it too. It uses the subject as the text, but for me at least it makes a link that I can click (blue). Are you using Apple Mail, or some other mail app?

You’re right. It is a link and it does work.
However, maybe a nice little link/mail icon would be nice.

Ah yes. Dragging from Apple Mail works like you said; this is useful as is.
Perhaps this opens up a discussion over what is ‘embedded’ and what is ‘linked’.

If I can make some suggestions;

• like @danielkbx said some form of indication what it is would be nice - now there is no distinction between linked emails and links to web locations. Having different coloured text for both could possibly be a quick fix but the solution should definitely fit with your overall vision for the app.
  • to me this is an external attached document, much like a file attachment; I would like to see them grouped/listed somewhere, especially if there’s more than one
  • ideally Agenda’s search functionality would index the email contents - and maybe even include / link to email attachments?

We have plans to give links a more distinctive look. This is just a link at this stage. We also have plans to support attachments, which will be files under the control of Agenda (and synced).

Is dragging from Apple Mail a premium feature? I’ve tried dragging to the app, a project and a note and nothing sticks.

Should not be premium, no. Should just work. So you don’t get a link? Have you upgraded to the version we released yesterday? Tried restarting the app?

This works great — love it. :smile:

Except, I did notice one glitch: If I drag the email itself (e.g. grab the top of the email, and drag it) this works. However, if I grab an email from the inbox (the chronological list of emails, in my case to the left of my actual email bodies) it does not work. I get the text of the subject line, but it is not linked.

Would be nice if it was uniform — but I can see the issue, since dragging from the inbox could potentially represent an entire conversation versus a single email… hmm.

I’m afraid that’s a limitation of Mail, we don’t determine what it puts on the clipboard I’m afraid.

Thank you. I have been beating my head on my desk trying to figure out why this would work sometimes and not others.

It looks like the issue is if it is a single email as opposed to a thread or stack of emails. If it is a stack, it wont copy the link. A single email, it copies the link perfectly (inbox or otherwise.)

Thank you for taking the time to share it with others.

Ah good to know!

Two things:

• Dragging an email to Agenda doesn’t seem to do anything. Is there some trick involved. I’m using the Apple’s mail.app.

• This feature would be much more useful if there were a key combination to press in mail that would create an entry in Agenda. For example, in Things I can link an email to a to-do with a key press in email.

2Do does the same, using an Apple script provided by the 2Do developers. :slight_smile:

just got agenda and I’m very impressed…

this is fantastic and works a treat with my email programme, Airmail 3 for mac.
…however… wondering if you could add the feature add to the share list in Airmail so I can send direct to Agenda rather than drag and drop, much easier. but perhaps that’s something I need to take up with Airmail team?

best regards,
Joe

1 Like

Glad you like it, a sharing extension is indeed something we’d like to bring.

1 Like

Why can I not drag an email from Outlook? Must it be from the Apple email application?

There is nothing in Agenda that makes it only work with Apple Mail. It should work with any app that puts a link on the clipboard when you drag. Drag/Drop is similar to copy and paste, and we depend on whatever Outlook puts on the clipboard for Agenda to take off it.

What do you see when you drag into Agenda? Do you just get the title of the email? Or nothing at all?

What about when you drag to a different app like Apple Notes?