Inline Comments

I would love to see this feature on the apps!

Interesting idea. Perhaps this could be added as some sort of special attachment when they come out. For example, you will be able to add a text file soon as an attachment, and have the text of the file appear when clicking. That is almost what you want.

1 Like

Sounds cool - though central to my suggestion is to be able to type continuously, and add comments as you go, without breaking one’s flow.

I see. Will think about it.

One way I add comments now is to put a particular tag at the end of the line, and the comment after it.

What I do at the moment is just write the comment in [square brackets], though I also use square brackets for draft text when I don’t want to break my flow by thinking of a better phrase. I should probably use another symbol to make the difference obvious. I’ll try using {curly brackets} for comments. For me using a tag for comments wouldn’t add any benefit as I don’t ever want to search for a comment, and the higher visibility of the tag would be a distraction - I want to get comments out of sight unless I want to read them!

I was looking for the same thing. I prepare Notes for Meetings. After these Meetings I would like to comment several topics. Another use case would be Checklists. I would like to use comments to remember what I did or where to look at.

Comments should stand back so they don’t distract.

I’ve just started using a workaround: I type comments using fixed width font (cmd-L) on Mac.

I mainly do this when drafting a blog or similar. It’s useful because it can be inline or a whole para.

Ideally I’d like to be able to hide them, with just a subtle visual indicator that they exist.

What about this feature suggestion? I found a good solution at notion.so, there you can add inline comment that is only visible while clicking on it. Add this feature to Agenda would be a great addition!

Not entirely sure about it, it feels to me that you are more looking at it as a workaround for the missing ability to collapse sections in a note, or am I missing a certain use case? Another use case I could think of is if you’d be sharing the note with others and would want to add private comments only you can see, but that is not a relevant scenario for Agenda at the moment.

I want to write my notes and add some further notes in context of a word or phrase, like a link but not to an attachment or website but to a text. The author of this thread described it already perfectly. If I could collapse some parts/ areas of a note then this could be a good solution too. But I don’t want to comment for somebody, just for me.

Yes, but this is what I meant, I feel it’s more the need for hiding or collapsing that is driving this request.

1 Like

Yes, absolutely. Hiding, not commenting is the goal :wink:

1 Like

I would definitely like to be able to collapse paragraphs, but my desire for comments is completely separate. I’d find inline comments useful and being able to hide them would be great. My need is generally when I’m drafting something that will eventually end up as a public document and I want to get down my thoughts and the logical flow quickly.

Example:

Anytown Heritage Trust has been at the heart of the community since 1990 [check date]. The hills rise up behind the town [like towering infernos? brooding steeples].

with comments hidden:

Anytown Heritage Trust has been at the heart of the community since 1990^. The hills rise up behind the town^.

The example you show really involves “inline” comments, we’ll think about it.

1 Like

FYI Obsidian just released something similar.

https://twitter.com/obsdmd/status/1359307682797223937

Commenting would be really useful. Personally, I’d welcome how Apple does it with Pages, where I can select a text and make it highlighted and insert a comment into the highlighted part. This is useful when I want to elaborate on why this particular part of the text was highlighted, and go into depth without writing additional lines after the highlight, but directly into it, if I’m making sense.

1 Like

Sounds like a good approach. We will consider it. Thanks for the suggestion!

1 Like

Any news on this? It could be a collapsed part of an entry or, another approach, like an embedded comment. For example Notion makes it very cool, see screenshot.

No news, I’m afraid. Working on some other major projects at the moment. Perhaps down the track.

That’s ok, from my perspective it’s not very urgent. But there’s another very important topic :wink: