In-line Arithmetic

textediting

I have several notes with extrememly simple arithmetic such as 2 games * $40 = $80.

I like to be able to change the 2 games to 3 or 4 and would like to see the value update automatically.

Not something we have on our list for the near future but might tie in with some ideas we have for down the road.

This would be really useful for me.

I’d love to be able to do this kind of “back of envelope” calculations when I’m scoping up a proposal and accompanying budget.

I had a workflow on iOS that would take selected text, run it through Calca (I think) and return the result. There was a workflow bug that stopped it working right, but I think that’s fixed now.

I could dig it out and see if it works properly now

Thanks for the offer, but I don’t do workflows etc!

OK, that’s restricting the power of the system quite radically, but whatever.

Looks like the Calca calc x-callback doesn’t do exactly what the documentation says anyway: it should process a block of text as a Calca document and return the resulting block, but instead it gives a single result, basically of the last line.

This is useful - you can select a pretty complicated expression and get an answer into the clipboard by sharing it through the shortcut - but not ideal.