Importance of Reminders with no date or time

Hi,

Every GTD application supports Reminders with no date or time.

There is a need to be able to do the same in Agenda. Currently the Reminder modal forces time or date to be set.

It precludes a very significant note taking ability of simply setting reminders / tasks as action items for further pprocessing - which is a daily practice of any GTD process.

Reminders can be items to follow on daily as a routine (and you do not want it to populate the TODAY list in Reminders) or simply represent action items taken during a meeting that have not yet been assigned with a due date and tiime but are important to appear in Reminders to be addressed later.

Will be great to have this option opened in Agenda reminder function.

We debated this quite a bit but decided against allowing undated reminders to show in Agenda. In the end of the day an undated reminder is just a normal checklist item. It sounds like you want to use Reminders as those would give you an overview of all the open task. It’s true that this kind of overview is currently missing, but high among the list of things we’d like to add.

Thanks for that.

1. True, I am coming from the point where it was your decision to make Apple Reminders your GTD engine and interface of choice so I am commenting on where this integration does not support in full general workflows

2. HOWEVER, regardless of the tasks overview function, an UNDATED task is a key workflow item in any GTD workflow above and beyond a simple shopping checklist.

Tasks change status. They move from URGENT to DELAYED and to FOLLOWUP as an example.

This is one of the key principles of Trello Kanban as an example. So by removiing the UNDATED tasks from your options, you essentially do not allow FOLLOWUP tasks to exist.

They do not have a start or a due day, but they have an important purpose as you must see them in the total GTD list and they ARE related to a certain PROJECT or NOTE , and they simply need to be followed daily (as an example) as higher level tasks above the dated ones.

So, I respect very much your wall-gardened approach where you do take responsibility over minimizing functionality (like the Styled approach vs. fully formatted one) but in this case you may want to think about this again.

Agenda provides one of the most common daily uses for business people: The ability to take meeting notes and related action items.

Such action items will be spread around multiple notes and across many dates.

But as a matter of workflow, many times you will not have an immediate date associated with a task as you pencil in the “ACTION ITEMS” during a meeting or you will not need one as it will be a daily FOLLOWUP status with an unknown Due Date (such as “Check FDA Regulation Status of 510k” etc.).

Anyway, my 2 cents about that.

Thank you for listening.

But for this kind of use case, much more than cluttering your reminders app and relying on a different app, it makes much more sense to use tags like #followup in combination with a smart overview that groups those notes together in a single place. You can be more specific about why you tag them and you can have multiple of such overviews for different reasons. The only thing that you cannot yet do is to only show the lines in the note that contain the tag without showing the rest of the note, this is something we’d like to add in the future.

Indeed you are right.
If you turn Agenda into a full fledged GTD without reliance on an external app - there is no question as to the efficacy of your suggestion.

But until then, even your Tagging suggestion will have shortfalls against Remiinders or Things in terms of UI like prioritizing within a list etc.

Anyway, again, I really appreciate the reply and attention.