Import file from external HD?

What I did: I’m running all of my work right now off of an external HD (used to be my computer’s HD… long story, involves a kitten, a glass of water and my inexperience with kittens.:cat2:)

What happened: I’m trying to open my Agenda file on my wife’s MBP. I’ve installed Agenda on her computer and was wondering if there were a way to just open a saved file. Since I’d never had to do this before, I hadn’t thought about it being complicated.

What I expected: That this would be very simple.

Things that might be helpful to know (Agenda version, OS and model, etc): macOS 11.5.2

Thanks! If this has already be treated in some other thread, I wasn’t able to find it! :man_facepalming:

The way to do this would be to export a note or project from one Mac onto the drive. You use File > Export. Best format is the “Agenda File”.

Then on your wife’s computer, double click the file to import it.

Note that this is not a sync, it is just a copy of the note. After that, the two copies are independent. We have some new features for sharing coming soon.

Kind regards,
Drew

Thanks, Drew.

In this case, I don’t quite have full access to my old computer, just the hard drive. So, the files are there, but I’m accessing it as an external. Any way to open the file directly from the drive?

Thanks
Ben

If the file is an Agenda File exported from Agenda, and you already have the Agenda app installed, just double click the file on the hard drive to import it.

If you mean you have a copy of all your old user account on the drive, and you want to use the full Agenda library from that drive on your new computer, it is a bit more involved. I can explain how to copy the old data in and replace the data on the new computer if that is what you want. Let me know.

Kind regards,
Drew

Hi Drew,

It is the second situation. Everything is on the old drive, which was the HD for my notebook, before the kitten and the water.

Thanks
Ben

Hi Ben,

OK, assuming your new computer has not useful data on it in Agenda, here is what you can do. It will completely remove any Agenda data on the new computer, replacing it with the old data.

First, quit Agenda, then go to the external hard drive. Begin in your home folder there, with your name on it, in Users. Then go into Library > Group Containers. Locate the folder WRBK2Z2EG7.group.com.momenta.agenda.macos. Select it, and choose Edit > Copy

Now click on Finder, and then choose Go > Go to Folder. Enter this

~/Library/Group Containers

Use Edit > Paste to paste the folder you copied into the Group Containers. It should replace the folder that is already there.

Now launch Agenda. You should see the data.

Kind regards,
Drew

1 Like

Perfect. Thanks!!!
:+1:

1 Like