How to move Agenda to another Mac

I want to migrate Agenda off one mac and move to another.

Originally the Mac running agenda had iCloud sync on with one account (Primary on this mac) and I plan to move it to another Mac on another different primary iCloud account.

Can I just lift and drop files or do I need to do a whole dance of signing in and out of iCloud accounts between machines?

Does the export Agenda file export all notes or just one?

If I were you, I would do this:

1. Turn off sync in Agenda
  2. Click on Finder
  3. Choose Go > Go to Folder
  4. Enter ~/Library/Containers
  5. Locate the folder com.momenta.agenda.macos
  6. Copy this folder to the same location on your new Mac

Great thanks Drew, I saw the post on location of the files but was unsure how much data had to be transferred.

Thanks again!

Just to be sure and in case others have the same question, while the above should work, if possible the best way is by syncing your new Mac through iCloud. Only if that’s not an option we’d advise to use the copying of the container (like in this case).

2 Likes

I’ve done this but still Agenda is not able to get those notes in the new mac. My old mac is now gone for good. My organization wouldn’t let icloud sync for any app, dropbox sync doesn’t work too. I was relying on the backup of the containers folder but it looks as though my 2 years of notes is now permanently lost. Any hope of recovering it?

In new versions of Agenda, the data is actually moved. Try this.

1. Quit Agenda
  2. Click on Finder
  3. Choose Go > Go to Folder
  4. Enter ~/Library/Containers/com.momenta.agenda.macos/Data/Documents
  5. Do you see a folder there called Agenda? Or Agenda.backup? If so, one or both is your data.
  6. Keep that folder open, and now open a new Finder window and do the following…
  7. Choose Go > Go to Folder
  8. Enter ~/Library/Group Containers
  9. Find the folder called WRBK2Z2EG7.group.com.momenta.agenda.macos and drag it to you Desktop so that it is no longer in the Group Containers.
  10. Now go back to the other folder we opened. If you see an Agenda folder there, all you should do is launch Agenda. It will hopefully copy the data and it will show up.
  11. If instead you see no Agenda folder, but do see an Agenda.backup folder, first rename the Agenda.backup folder to just Agenda, and then launch Agenda app.
1 Like

@drewmccormack OMG, you just saved a year of my notes. Plus you also retained a user for your app. Thanks a lot for the help!

3 Likes

Glad you were able to get it all back!

@drewmccormack
Is there an update for this process for those using Big Sur? In ~/Library/Containers all I see is a folder called Agenda (actually two of them…one has an icon on it) and there is no com.momenta.agenda.macos folder. How can I migrate from an older Mac to a new Big Sur Mac? I cannot use iCloud due to corporate policy. Thanks in advance.

Yes. The data is now in the groups, so that we could implement extensions.

1. Click on Finder, and choose Go > Go to Folder
  2. Enter ~/Library/Group Containers
  3. Find WRBK2Z2EG7.group.com.momenta.agenda.macos

BAM! Thanks! That worked great.

1 Like