How do “Related Notes” work?

Hi there,
I can’t find how “Related Notes” are working. Sometimes something is displayed there, sometimes it is not.
I’m often in a situation where I need to link several notes together, like when there are multiple meetings on different dates about the same topic.

Can this be used to do that somehow?

BR,
Marc

Hi Marc,
Related Notes looks at a few things:

• Neighboring notes in a project
  • Notes with the same tags
  • Notes with the same people

If you put the same tag in the related notes, you should find the appear in related notes.

Kind regards,
Drew

Just to clarify…Does that mean whatever is before and after the note? I was wondering why someone would want to manually sort the notes and that would make sense.

Also, if you do link notes together like Marc said does that not have any effect on the related notes? If you didn’t tag them the same?

Thanks

For technical reasons links are indeed not influencing the related status at the moment.

So I have a question: I have a project called Limericks and the title of each note in the project has the string “Limerick” in the title—sometimes pluralized with an “s” at the end and sometimes not. Each note, however, was assigned to and marked completed on a different day. If I have one note assigned, say, for today, Nov 6, should the other notes, or at least some of them, show up as related notes?

If I insert a tag, #limerick, into the notes, they show up as related. Otherwise, they don’t. I am used to working in DevonThink, where—given what I have described above and if I understand the way DT works correctly—I would not need to use a tag to connect those items, because the indexing would connect the similar text in the titles.

I guess I am wondering if Agenda is going to force me to use tags for this, which would be okay, or if there is something I am missing. (It would be nice, just for the way I work, if note titles could also create a relation, but I am liking Agenda and learning a new convention for connecting notes would not be the end of the world.)

Indeed, tagging is the way to go now. If they are related, just put a common tag in each.

I can see a use case for a general universal matching based on text, but I can also see that could lead to a lot of false positives. For now at least, we leave in your hand what is considered “related”.