How can I verify iCloud sync without second device?

Hi,

I’m using Agenda on my work MacBook Pro (M1 13inch), which is logged into a “standalone” iCloud account (i.e. it is the only device logged into that account). I’d like to use sync to make sure my notes are backed up somewhere off-device.

Since I don’t have another device to double-check that sync is actually saving my data - can I verify this manually somehow? I did check my iCloud drive, but can’t see any files there.

Thanks!

Files won’t show up in iCloud Drive, because we sync using a hidden iCloud data store. You should see that there is data in iCloud though, if you go to the manage data area in System Preferences for iCloud. Agenda should be there, and have data.

If your iCloud Drive is turned on, it should be syncing. If it is actively uploading, you will see the cloud flash top-right in the window.

One way to confirm that data really is in iCloud would be to move aside your local data, and see if the data downloads again to fill up your local Agenda app. I don’t really recommend this, but if you are paranoid, you could try it:

1. Ensure you are confident everything is synced up
  2. Quit Agenda
  3. In Finder, choose Go > Go to Folder
  4. Enter ~/Library/Group Containers
  5. Drag the folder WRBK2Z2EG7.group.com.momenta.agenda.macos to your Desktop
  6. Launch Agenda and wait for it to sync up

If the data all comes back, you don’t need to do anything more. If there is a problem, you can always put back the folder on your Desktop, which contains your data.

Kind regards,
Drew