How can I speed up the program

I‘ve been using Agenda for a couple years now. I experience that it is getting slower and slower.

• what can I do to speed it up?
  • is there a possibility to compress or do something else with the underlying database?
1 Like
  • what can I do to speed it up?

The easiest way to keep Agenda responsive is to:

• archive projects you no longer need (but want to keep in case you’d like to get back to them at some point in the future)
  • keep the number of notes per project to fewer than 100-200 (consider splitting them into multiple projects, segregated by topic or date)
  • keep the amount of text per note to fewer than 1000-2000 words (consider splitting large notes into multiple notes)

There’s quite a big range in terms of notes per project and text per note in which Agenda should be very responsive, but if you go into the hundreds of small notes per project, or very large notes with pages of text, performance can start to suffer.

is there a possibility to compress or do something else with the underlying database?

No, this isn’t possible, but this is not the area where performance issues arise.

Thanks for the fast response.
What I started to do is now erasing notes and projects after having transferred them to obsidian. But even after having erased notes and projects there is no noticeable success to be seen. Therefore I was asking if there might be a possibility to pimp the database

best regards

The database is unlikely the issue. It depends where exactly you see slowness. Eg. Is it when typing? When scrolling? When navigating between projects?

We haven’t made any changes recently to the way notes are loaded etc, so if there is a problem, it probably was added a few versions ago.

Perhaps you can experiment a bit and see where you notice the slowness. Eg. with a big note? With a big project? With a note that has attachments or tables?

Interesting experience on this topic.

I started inserting several tables (3x12) into a note on the iPad Pro today and after the 4th or 5th table, Agenda became very slow.
After the 10th table, Agenda stopped responding and I had to restart the app. After that, editing was barely possible. I painstakingly deleted this note, but after the restart everything worked as usual.
In the meantime, this note was also synchronised with the iPhone and Agenda also became very slow.

So multiple tables in one note have a very negative impact on performance.
I’m not sure if multiple notes with one table have the same effect.

Thanks for reporting! Yes, we are aware of that shortcoming. We will see if we can improve on that in future. Tables can definitely be faster.

1 Like