Highlight the link with markdown shortcut

What I did:

• i pasted a link as a quote
  • and then tried to highlight the link with markdown shortcut == ==

What happened:

This happens without a quote:

What I expected:
What I can do without any problems in Bear and Obsidian. Start typing and see the result.

Yes I know, I can also inline style the selected text using the bar above the keyboard. Marking links is too cumbersome on the iPhone.

It seems to work for text, but the result is very ugly. But that is a different problem, which i would also like to have solved.

Things that might be helpful to know (Agenda version, OS and model, etc): iOS

@drewmccormack , @mekentosj , I think you should take a look at closing the quote automatically; definitely on paste as.

Ah ha. The md works for highlighting, you have to wait couple of seconds for the translation. ==type away and==
Or, ==at beginning of existing text and close==

Ah ha. The md works for highlighting, you have to wait couple of seconds for the translation. ==type away and==
Or, ==at beginning of existing text and close==

Yes, but not with link.

Here 3 tests: Insert link and then highlight with == ==

…then export as plain text in Apple Notes

…then inserted the text in bear

…and inserted here in Agenda

That’s crazy… or I’m doing something wrong? :sweat_smile:
Agenda does not do what I expected!

Edit: Here is another test with exported highlighting as text

…paste as plain text in Apple Notes

…interesting :thinking:

Agenda is not a markdown editor. Not sure about Obsidian, but Bear is definitely a markdown editor.

Agenda does offer some shortcuts that overlap with markdown, but it will sometimes be different. Sometimes worse, and sometimes better (eg I use open-square bracket, closed square bracket for checklists all the time, but it is not markdown).

I did some testing. You can get bold links using standard menus and shortcuts, and the action \b. I couldn’t get it to work with the markdown approach. I suspect it is parsing the link first, and the bold after that, and that the second part of the bold marking is interpreted as part of the link. I will have to investigate whether we can reverse this order; sometimes changing the order can improve one aspect, but make other things break. Will add to the list to check it.

To be honest, I’m not even sure mixing bold and links in these ways is part of markdown. Not sure the behavior is defined. It may depend a lot on the implementation used.

Will see if I can add this safely in a future release. For now the best would be to use menus/shortcuts, or the action \b

Drew

I would like to clarify. The way I have highlighted the links in the examples is not mandatory for me. It actually came about spontaneously and intuitively. I then checked the Agenda Markdown Cheat Sheet and read that:

That was also the confirmation for me. It should work the way I expect it to.

It is difficult to explain a function to a customer…Yes, it is possible but not always…
This quickly leads to misunderstandings.
But ok, maybe I’m too curious and try out a lot of things that most users wouldn’t use. :sweat_smile:

I love this mysterious app :smile::+1:t3:

Drew, I didn’t understand the use of the action \b in this context. Can you please show an example?

Yes, what you suggest does work with standard text, but it won’t work in all contexts. Eg. Probably doesn’t work in a heading either. And a link apparently is also a problem in this case. We have to look into that.

Re: \b. Agenda has powerful actions. You access them using backslash. Just type that, and a whole world will open. A simple action is “change to bold”, which is \b. Just type it, then a space, and then start typing. Your text should be bold. Typing it again will remove the bold.

Re: \b. Agenda has powerful actions. You access them using backslash. Just type that, and a whole world will open. A simple action is “change to bold”, which is \b. Just type it, then a space, and then start typing. Your text should be bold. Typing it again will remove the bold.

Yes, I already know this function /b.

I understood from your text above that the /b action in combination with link and highlighting enables the use of md short ==.
Sorry, I misunderstood.

Thank you!