Formatting palette can't be closed on Agenda 17

No third party windowing tools, just plain vanilla macOS. No special accessibility settings that I’m aware of; were there any that you’d like me to check?

No settings like Reduced transparency or increased contrast in the system settings? And are you using Agenda on a secondary screen?

Another question, does it matter in which note/project you trigger the formatting window? And does it still happen directly after a restart of your Mac?

Not using Reduced Transparency or increased contrast. Both Macs are only single screen. Project/note doesn’t seem to matter; I can trigger it from any paragraph of any note. Happens even directly after a restart.

Update: 17.0.2 sort of fixes it! The palette now doesn’t get “stuck” open, but there is still an oddity where the first time it opens, clicking elsewhere doesn’t close it (it just moves behind the main window). The next time it is opened will behave normally, then after that the weird behaviour repeats. Here is a recording showing what I mean:

Very odd but glad it already works better. There’s still something specific to your Macs, either a utility or a setting we haven’t discovered yet. If you can think about something let us know. What happens btw if you drag the palette to become a window, does it function normally?

Yes, if I drag it out, it functions normally. However, clicking the red dot doesn’t close it (similarly to the behaviour in earlier versions). If I reopen it using the little circle next to a paragraph, it relocates itself next to that paragraph and starts behaving normally again.

I tend to run my Macs very vanilla, without much in the way of 3rd party utilities or such.

But that’s the thing, even the red dots are not supposed to be there. It sounds like either the system or a third party utility is swapping out the window that Agenda creates for a different one.

Here’s another video showing how the behaviour interacts with the “Show/hide Formatting Palette” menu option. Maybe there’s a clue in there?

Hey there — hopping in from the other thread :slight_smile: yes agreed, improvement but still some odd behavior. Sometimes takes some clicking (focus then not focus on the palette) and it eventually closes.

For what it’s worth I don’t see any red dots on mine.

I’m opposite of MandyK that I usually run (too many) 3rd party utilities so I can experiment to see if any of them are causing issues.

1 Like

Hello

Still have the same issue.

Just to add in here that this is affecting me as well. Last update improved matters slightly, but it’s still quite broken I’m afraid. I just use the menu options now and try and avoid opening the palette to avoid frustration.

Happy to run a Beta with logging or something like that if that would help?

It’s still very frustrating that we haven’t been able to determine what app or what setting, or system specific aspect causes this, if there’s anything (a utility you use, a specific system setting or display setup) that you can find that prevents this from happening that would be great.

We’ll also try to create a beta version with more logging info that might give us more insights next week.

I’ve restarted in safe mode, reset display scaling to default, removed the external display, and disabled the increased contrast option I normally use. Still have problems.

The simplest test case that fails is

• write some text

• click on the dot to open the palette

• select a style such as list item
    nothing happens

• click on the Agenda window to dismiss the palette
    Agenda comes to top but palette is still there underneath

• repeat the above and the styling will work the second time, and the palette may close as well

• clicking on the dot a second time usually (maybe always) closes the palette

• dragging the palette window and then trying to close with the close button someties works

Thanks for testing these, and the steps are indeed what is shown in the videos that people have made. Problem is that we don’t see this happen on our end, on various machines with various Os version, including 13.2.1
Very frustrating…

I did mention it several times in another thread, but it was closed because of this one. Maybe it does play a role in troubleshooting: I have 4 Macs with almost the same software configuration. I have the problems only on the 2 Macs with Intel CPU.

Maybe new clue: I created a new macOS user, signed into my iCloud account (so that Agenda would have access to the new features), and can’t reproduce the problem.

Switching back to my original macOS account, the problem reoccurs.

It doesn’t seem to matter whether the new user is an administrator or not.

This is on an M1 Mac so it seems unlikely that it’s related to Intel vs Apple Silicon.

Any ideas for differences between the two that I can investigate?

Wow, that’s interesting, confirming that it’s some kind of setting. Indeed I myself tested on an Intel mac as well and didn’t see it either. So is there any software or utility that is running on the one account but not the other? Or some setting specifically that comes to mind in say the system prefs?

Trying to bring the new account into sync with the old one with regard to settings and utilities. But so far no luck in reproducing it on the new account.

Thank you so much for doing this, let us know if you find any leads.