Exporting to Pages and Word, style-ready

Writing in a simple editor like Agenda is great, but sometimes I need to create a nicely formatted Pages doc for printing or creating a pdf with images etc. And sometimes I have to share Word doc, (because some people insist!)

I’ve never yet found a Markdown editor that seamlessly exports to Pages and/or Word formats in such a way that the word processor properly recognises styles.

What I’d like is that I open the exported Pages or Word file, and then edit each style as necessary - so changing the font and size of H1, or body etc, so that all occurrences of that style are applied throughout the document.

If Agenda do that, as well as the other clever stuff it does, I’m in!

I’ve never yet found a Markdown editor that seamlessly exports to Pages and/or Word formats in such a way that the word processor properly recognises styles.

I think what you want instead is to use rich text, both Pages and Word work great with the default output. Simply select a note (click in the header of the title so it’s selected but you’re not editing), hit command-C and paste it in Word or Pages:

Maybe I’m being stupid, but when I do that the resulting Pages document shows text styled in the same way as the Agenda note, but the Pages style menu shows every paragraph as ‘Body*’.

Which means to style the Pages doc the way I want, I’ll have to go through each para and apply a style to it.

What I want to do is write in Agenda, export it to Pages and for the style menu in Pages to reflect the style names I applied in Agenda. Then all I should need to do is edit each style in Pages, then the actual styles in the text of the Pages doc will change to reflect the changes I have made.

Does that make sense?

Thanks!

Ah I see what you mean, indeed we currently do not support the Pages style natively (don’t think rich text allows us to encode that). We would need to look into a specific Pages exporter, but that would be not in the short term…

Thanks for letting me know. It could I suppose work in the same way by exporting a Word doc, so long as it handles styles correctly.

Until this is available it looks like I’ll just use Agenda for rough notes and write drafts in Pages (or Word).

1 Like