Evernote import?

I just tried the Evernote import. I know people have had a few issues, but it works great for me.

Thanks very much for this. I feel kind of bad for Evernote, but they had a good run.

1 Like

A quick update to let you know that the 5.3 update should now be available, which contains a number of fixes for some of the evernote issues encountered.

No need to feel bad for Evernote. They are still doing fine. We can poach a few discerning customers away, but that still leaves hordes for them :wink:

Kind regards,
Drew

1 Like

I have been using Evernote for many, many years (over a decade, at least). I have pretty much everything in there, and I take notes for everything. Lots of PDFs and images in there, too. Recent years I had been getting more and more frustrated with changes in Evernote as well as changes in pricing models. I started using Bear as much as possible over Evernote but itā€™s much more lightweight and I still kept my daily log notes and much more in Evernote. I did find Bearā€™s support for Markdown just looks better than Agenda, and there is no markdown support in Evernote. Also, Bearā€™s support for tags is far better than Evernote, especially in the way tags actually cause notes to be organized by tag, which is better even than what I see in Agenda in my limited experience with Agenda so far. Evernote has some key features which I still havenā€™t found together in any other app including Agenda:

• handwriting recognition - I can scan handwritten notes and push them into Evernote, and they are searchable thereafter along with everything else

• support for a wide variety of media, not only images (with ability to scale individual images within a note), and PDF

I did an export from Evernote and then an import of that file into Agenda. Again keep in mind how massive my Evernote file is (8.61 GB, to be precise). Agenda started the import and I left that machine running while it was supposedly importing, over the weekend - i.e. about 3 - 4 days. This was on a 2017 5K iMac i7 w/64GB of RAM. Meanwhile, I was able to open Agenda on other computers and did see that Evernote imported material was showing up.

The computer running the Agenda import never indicated that it finished and eventually I finally force quit Agenda. Now in Agenda I see under ā€œOther Projectsā€ a project named Evernote and whatever it has imported is lump-sum dumped into a single project with zero organization as far as I can tell.

I had so many notebooks in Evernote that I hit the limit for the number of allowed notebooks (even with their paid accounts). So to have everything dumped in one place makes zero sense to me and itā€™s pretty useless. The only way I could find anything specific is via search, and also there is no way for me to know whether everything was imported or not.

What I would like to see happen when Agenda does an Evernote import:

• some type of progress indication
  • indication of success or failure of the import
  • import should create a CATEGORY (not a Project) for Evernote
  • each individual notebook from Evernote should appear as a new PROJECT within the Evernote Category
  • does Agenda have no support for spaces within tags? All the tags from the import are broken whenever there was a space in the tag - only the first word in the tag is recognized as part of the tag. Both Bear and Evernote support spaces in tags.

To be perfectly honest, I donā€™t think Agenda is up to this amount of data import at this time. We would need another round of performance improvements to handle that much.

You could split your data into multiple exports, but it sounds like a huge amount of data, and may still be a problem.

Directly mapping a large Evernote library to Agenda may also not work out so well. There are features in evernote that Agenda doesnā€™t have, and vice versa.

You might be better to consider using evernote for certain types of note taking, and Agenda for other types. Ie choose the best tool for each task.

Just a thought, but is it practical for you to export each notebook individually? Then import each exported notebook into Agenda separately? In other words:

In Evernote:

1. Select a notebook
  2. Select all notes in that notebook
  3. Export notes

In Agenda:

1. Set up a category for Evernote Exports (or whatever new category structure you want)
  2. Import notes into a new Project
  3. Rinse and repeat

This seems to work for me on a small scale.

As far as your comments on Bear go, I agree. I use Bear for all the note taking I used to use Evernote for. Itā€™s vastly superior in its handling of ordered lists and outlines, which is mainly how I structure my notes. I donā€™t know what Iā€™d do without it, so I hope they donā€™t follow Evernoteā€™s path.

Agenda is a different beast. I use Agenda for other things I used to use Evernote for, such as keeping records of processes that work (e.g., in Photoshop or web development) and the original web pages where I found them. I also use Agenda for sketching out ideas to be followed up on as I develop a project. It, too, has become an essential part of my workflow. Iā€™m hoping they stay true to their vision as well.

No single app can be all things to all people. I think thatā€™s the trap that Evernote fell into. It tried to be everything for everybody. Youā€™ve got to be able to say no when people ask for features that would cause you to lose your focus.

1 Like

My annual subscription for evernote has expired. I am ready to make the jump to agenda, but canā€™t do it without spaces in tags, as it will decimate 100s of my existing tags.

I see from elsewhere this is on the wish list. Is there anyway I can get notified when itā€™s done?

Also, is there any way to rotate images? In evernote itā€™s just a case of right clicking on an image and choosing which direction you want to rotate it.

We will probably announce such a major feature in our newsletter, feel free to subscribe in order to be kept up to date.

Also, is there any way to rotate images? In evernote itā€™s just a case of right clicking on an image and choosing which direction you want to rotate it.

Not at the moment, image editing isnā€™t very high on our list to be honest, but what we would like to enhance is the ability to have an attachment be opened in another app easily (say preview or an image editor) and have it update the attachment when the app saves any edits to it.

3 posts were split to a new topic: How to use evernote import?