Dropbox sync sporadic and one way

What I did: I sync between Mac (from work) and iPhone (personal) through dropbox. Syncing stopped about 1.5 months ago, when I upgraded to new iPhone.

What happened: To reset, I turned off syncing on both devices. I cleared out dropbox completely. Synced Mac to dropbox, then iPhone to dropbox. One note came over. I tried updating the note in Mac, but it didn’t sync. I edited note in iPhone, and it synced. I still don’t have all my other notes on my iPhone. Is there a better way to reset the syncing?

What I expected: I thought by starting fresh, and taking each step sequentially, it should have synced both devices again.

Things that might be helpful to know (Agenda version, OS and model, etc):Agenda Version 9.2.1; IOS 13.3.1; macOS 10.14.6

I’m afraid Dropbox syncing is just very slow. I am working on a way to make this faster, which should be available in a couple of months.

For now, try this:

1. Turn off sync on each device, and choose to remove the data
  2. Wait 10 minutes
  3. Go into your Dropbox folder on the Mac. Look in Apps.
  4. Find the Agenda folder in Apps, and drag it to the trash
  5. Wait 30 minutes for that to propagate to Dropbox
  6. Start sync on one device (eg Mac). Let it just run for an hour or so
  7. Now start sync on another device. Again, be prepared to wait

The first sync can be slow, especially with the current Dropbox setup. If you just wait, things will slowly start to appear. Note that while this sync is happening, any changes you make will not go to the other devices, so it isn’t a very good test. It just means the first sync is not finished.

We have just added a sync indicator to Agenda. It will be in the next release, hopefully sometime next week. That will show you when the sync is still busy.

Kind regards,
Drew

Thanks Drew!

You weren’t kidding about slow - but the process worked. I figured taking the steps would do it, I just wasn’t patient enough.

I did notice something that others might find useful. If after resetting everything, and you start the sync process, you can monitor the Dropbox folder and see when the last folder and last file were sent. I kept an eye on it until they stopped updating. I know you’re coming out with an indicator which will make it a lot easier too.

Thanks for the help - I really enjoy the software and look forward to new features.

Bob

Yes, it is very slow. No question.

Good news is that I am working on the improvement I mentioned right now. I hope it will make all the difference and be available before too long.

Sorry for the trouble.
Kind regards,
Drew

1 Like

I’m very much looking forward to the speed improvement release! Sounds like the sync indicator will be a big help. I love using Agenda but IT blocks iCloud on our work computers (and allows Dropbox for some reason) so I have no choice…with the current sync speeds and the frequency with which I had to reset it using this process, Agenda became unusable for me. Looking forward to being able to use it again!

Related note, I would be happy to pay for a sync service (something like Omnisync). Not sure if others feel the same way.

Thanks for the feedback. I am busy on the speed improvement now. Not a trivial change, so probably still a month out, but stay tuned!