Copy and Paste from Word - better support for bulleted lists

I frequently need to copy a word document that has a bulleted list into Agenga, but when I do, it comes in a mess and I need to fix all the formatting. There are plenty of bullets, but no indents. The bullets are either a solid small bullet, an open circle, or a club symbol (from playing cards).

Is there anythign that can be done to improve this, or any process that I can do to the word document before I do the copy and paste to make it more compatible?

Thanks

Unfortunately every app has a different list format. There is no standard for that, I’m afraid.

You could see if using Edit > Paste and Match Style makes it a bit neater.

Sorry I can’t be more help. We can perhaps see if there is anything we can “guess” about the data for future.

I just want to add another vote to this request. Every other app on my Mac can handle copying and pasting a bulleted list from Word. Notes, TextEdit, Spark, etc. all handle it fine. Only Agenda seems to mess up the formatting, and for a notetaking app this is really starting to be a dealbreaker. I imagine a lot of people get agendas in Word documents as bulleted lists, and it would be great to be able to copy and paste these into Agneda without having to do a whole cleanup process after.

This surprised me a bit, so I did a bit of testing. I made the most simple bullet list I could in Word, and copy and pasted to Apple Notes. This is what I got.

Screenshot 2020-03-02 at 09.27.17

It’s a list, yes, but it also includes Words bullets as symbols. Quite a bit of cleanup there to be done.

What about Bear? Pretty much the same.

Screenshot 2020-03-02 at 09.27.48

And Agenda?

Screenshot 2020-03-02 at 09.28.06

Appearance-wise, this is probably the best. Unfortunately, the bullets are just symbols, and this is not a list format.

Conclusion: none of the apps I tested do this well, and that’s because it is quite difficult to do. The information we get from Word is incomplete. The best we could do is guess the intention.

In all three cases, cleanup would be needed to get the desired result.

1 Like