Closing out checklist items

What I did: Finsished a item in a “checklist” option

What happened: It is checked off but remains on the list

What I expected:Once item was checked off it would disappear

Things that might be helpful to know (Agenda version, OS and model, etc):

Agenda is not a task managing app, it is a note taking app. We prefer to keep a record of what you have done, so checked lists remain complete, even when you check off the items.

Note that with the premium features, you can choose to have checked item shown in a different style (eg grayed out), so they are less prevalent.

Kind regards,
Drew

I’d like to push back on your answer which seems uncharacteristically dogmatic. Ok, Agenda is a “note taking app.” I’ve never been sure of what that is, but, whatever! I’ve found Agenda very useful, and you all include checklists which are useful for lots of things. BUT when the list of things no longer relevant fills the screen and makes it hard or inefficient to find things not yet checked off, why not just give us the option (as a preference or something) to make the thing done disappear so we can manage our projects and all that. Judging from other apps it’s easy, and I expect that a lot of folks would use it for lots of things, and not just for “task management.” Thanks for reading and considering this small adjustment.

We hear you, and perhaps the statement @drewmccormack made was a bit harsh in that we both use Agenda ourselves as our main “task manager”. I think what he meant is that because Agenda is primarily a note taking app, it works a bit different than the standard task manager and therefore might come across at times as lacking basic functionality you might expect from the typical task management app. For example you could ask “hey, why is it cluttering my note with things that are already done?”. The reason is that one of the principals we started Agenda for is that we believe it’s important to keep a complete history of what you have done. Long story short, it’s not that we don’t want to add a way to make checked items “dissappear”, but we would want to do so in a way it still fits the goal to preserve all your edits.

1 Like

It’s also worth pointing out the last year we did add a few things to the app which help with this. If you are on the Mac, take a look in Edit > Checklist. There are various commands that help you remove cut/delete/copy/move completed items. This makes it quite easy to remove things or move them if a list becomes unwieldy.

1 Like

I didn’t think the previous reply (by Drew) was harsh, just, as I said, uncharacteristically inflexible. Drew has generally been receptive, as have you. Of course you have a vision of the app and that is what makes it the coherent, appealing tool it is. BUT there are conventions in the app world, and one is that checklist items can be disappeared. Keeping the history is often a good idea, not least because it allows me to use the checklist when I do the project again (I’ve just been trying to do that with another project). What about “show completed items” “hide completed items.” History is there if you need/want it, but not when you don’t.

Thanks for engaging (both of you) with this. Even if you decide not to implement it (and I still think it would be nice), it makes me think about how better to use Agenda.

Thanks for your labors
Kevin

2 Likes

Yes those are helpful, and thanks for the reminder. Still…
Kevin

Yes, we have this type of functionality in our roadmap. We would like to give more control over what is shown in notes, including when you search. So this is definitely going to happen. It’s a big project, but quite high in priority.

3 Likes

I delete the items I don’t need a record of (e.g. daily routine tasks), and keep the ones that I want.