Calendar within a Project

So I’m a visual artist and so far loving Agenda. As I’ve now committed to 5 different events within the next few months I found it necessary to get organized.

I have deadlines within deadlines.
So I have the overall deadlines of when I need to deliver my work for several shows. And then there’s the actual show date that I need on an actual calendar.
I would also like to have a calendar that shows up within the project only where I could enter due dates for the pieces I’m working on. So deliverables basically.
I know this isn’t a project management tool per se, but I’m using it like that. Project management tools are too much for what most of us need.

Thanks guys! :wink:

1 Like

Great to hear you like Agenda so much.

So I have the overall deadlines of when I need to deliver my work for several shows. And then there’s the actual show date that I need on an actual calendar.
I would also like to have a calendar that shows up within the project only where I could enter due dates for the pieces I’m working on. So deliverables basically.

The way I would organise myself is to for each “event” to have 1 project in the sidebar. In each project I would have one note that would be the “event” itself, tied to a calendar event in your calendar app (so it shows up there). For each sub item that you need to organise for an event I would create a separate note also with a linked calendar event so that sub deadline would also appear in your calendar app.

It would look something like this:

Project MOMA
    - Scratchpad
       - collect some idea
       - collect some idea
    - My Deadline 1 - 1 march
       - [x] something I have to do before march 1
       - [ ] something else I have to do before march 1
   - My Deadline 2 - 15 april
       - [ ] something I have to do before april 15
       - [ ] something else I have to do before april 15
   - Show at MOMA - 3 june
       - [ ] something I have to do before june 3
       - [ ] something else I have to do before june3
   - Brainstorm Ideas
       - some idea
       - some idea
   - Interesting Links
       - link 1
       - link 2

Project Metropolitan
   - Scratchpad
       - collect some idea
    - My Deadline 1 - 15 march
       - [ ] something I have to do before march 15
       - [ ] something else I have to do before march 15
   - Show at Metropolitan - 16 june
       - [ ] something I have to do before june 16
       - [ ] something else I have to do before june 16
   - Press Invitees
       - some person
       - some person

Project Metropolitan and Project MOMA would be two items in your sidebar, they could live in their own Category called “Upcoming Events” for example. And while you go you change the relevant note to be On the Agenda, for example the two scratchpad notes and for each project the next upcoming deadline.

Curious to see what you end up with, if it works well for you it would be great to see you write about the system you ended up with in a Talk article :smiley:

Cheers,
Alex

5 Likes

This sounds very interesting, but how you can create a note for each sub item practically, can you show me visually? link calendar event means I cannot create a specific one from Agenda, but it should be already one in my calendar to link to?

In my understanding, I should create many notes, one after the other, but this looks quite complicated in term of connecting the different notes in a series of items and sub items.

1 Like

Nice! Going to try a few different ways to organize my project as I’M SURE that Agenda has what I need. You know I’ve asked my community of artists (300 plus) what tools if any, they use and haven’t heard anything yet. Once I feel I have the best way to use Agenda in our art world…I will be sharing it with them too. And absolutely I will write about it for a Talk article!
Thanks so much for the response!

2 Likes

A quick update, I’ve just written a Talk article about using templates in Agenda. It has a nice example that comes close to what I described above with respect to managing events…