Awesome app, but buggy!

Agenda is very pretty and holds a lot of promise for the future. I like it a lot, but have some issues with it. I compiled this list after putting the app through its paces with one of my larger notes from Notes.app. I didn’t import the note content. Instead, I recreated it via cut and paste so I could experience the process of creation using Agenda.

Before I get any further, I want to echo the sentiment that the app does not perform as quickly as expected or desired. I created a project and then created 26 notes named A through Z. I would press ⌘N and type the letter, then ⌘N and the next letter, etc. Know what I got? 26 notes named Untitled Note. If I pause for the note to render (why do I have to pause?) and allow the app to highlight the default Untitled Note label for me, only then can I type my replacement text. I think the app’s use of animation is getting in the way. Animations are nice, but they need to stop when I begin to instruct the app to do something.

Is there no way to sort the notes in a project alphabetically instead of by newest/oldest? Sometimes date is important, but not always. I know Agenda has a date/time focus, but surey it understands that not all my notes need to be driven by time. I would definitely appreciate the ability to specify that a given project’s notes are sorted in alpha order.

Scrolling when dragging a note in a project with 20+ notes is an exercise in patience. When dragging a note offscreen there is a narrow band where autoscrolling will kick in. This area is too narrow and not sensitive enough. I often have to wriggle the mouse to get the app to begin autoscrolling. It should be easier to do this than it currently is. Speaking of scrolling, Agenda just crashed as I scrolled quickly upwards through my big note. Hello, EXC_BAD_ACCESS. Bummer. At least it didn’t lose any data as a result.

Why does every new note default to being on the agenda? I’d prefer that new notes default to not being on the agenda. I am critical about what gets to be on my agenda. Right now making a new note means taking the additional step of removing it from the agenda. Creating a new note means typing ⌘N, then mousing to the agenda button and clicking it.

Why can’t I select 10 notes, right click and delete them all? Why must I do it one at a time? This must be a bug because the Delete note from the right-click menu is grayed out, while Edit > Delete is not, but it doesn’t delete anything when I select it. When I select a single note Edit > Delete asks me if I want to delete it, as does pressing the delete key one the keyboard. Right-clicking shows that Delete Note is still grayed out. Of course, deleting multiple notes works fine when I quit and relaunch the app. Right-clicking shows that Delete Note is still grayed out, however. I think there is a bug in here somewhere. Update: moments later I can no longer delete multiple notes via Edit > Delete or by pressing the delete key. Yes, definitely buggy!

There is far too much clicking required to operate the app. If I have a note with 20 lines that I want to turn into minor headings, I have to hover around the line, click in the little circle, click on Minor Heading and then click again to dismiss the popup. That’s a lot of clicking! I can’t select multiple lines and do the process once, because the app is like, “No, that’s in a different note.” Intuitively, after making a line a Minor Heading and while the popup is still displayed, I would like to be able to click on another circle and make that line a Minor Heading, too, but the app won’t let me do that. I have to click outside the popup to dismiss it and then perform the process all over again. This is cumbersome. I thought, “I know, I’ll press ⌘T to bring up some text/font controls.” Nope.

Pressing ⌘T shows the calendar sidebar. No problem, I’ll press ⌘T to make it go away. Nope. If I can press ⌥⌘S to toggle the sidebar, why can’t ⌘T do the same for the calendar sidebar? Instead, I have to drag the thumb to collapse the calendar sidebar, widening the main content window. Why must it be this way?

I have content with actual #'s in it. Now I have a bunch of false tags: for sure, they are tags to the app, but not to me. They are like phantoms. My current solution requires that I change my content to \#whatever. I don’t think I should be the one to have to change in order to work around what the app thinks the norm is. I get it, convenience, but I feel like I should be the one that creates a tag.

There is currently too much clicking required. This is a notes app, so I would like to be able to drive 90% of the experience from the keyboard. More keyboard controls, please. When you make the iOS app, please honor Bluetooth and smart keyboards.

I can’t wait to see this app improve. Keep up the good work, guys!

1 Like

Before I get any further, I want to echo the sentiment that the app does not perform as quickly as expected or desired.

Performance is getting better, and will get better in the next release too. We have other ideas to make improvements in future.

Is there no way to sort the notes in a project alphabetically instead of by newest/oldest?

If your notes don’t have dates, you can drag them into any order. A dateless note can be dragged anywhere in a list.

Scrolling when dragging a note in a project with 20+ notes is an exercise in patience.

We’ll look into that. Think we are just using the default autoscrolling of macOS.

Why does every new note default to being on the agenda?

You can change that in Preferences.

Why can’t I select 10 notes, right click and delete them all?

I’ll look into that. Not sure if it is a bug, or was deliberate decision.

Delete Note is still grayed out.

Believe there was a bug fixed for that recently.

In terms of deletion, you need to be careful what is selected. Eg. Is there an insertion point in the text? In that case, delete corresponds to deleting characters. You need to make sure that the note, and not the text is selected.

There is far too much clicking required to operate the app. If I have a note with 20 lines that I want to turn into minor headings, I have to hover around the line, click in the little circle, click on Minor Heading and then click again to dismiss the popup. That’s a lot of clicking!

This is just one approach. Most pro-users would opt for selecting and using keyboard shortcuts. That’s very fast.

Intuitively, after making a line a Minor Heading and while the popup is still displayed, I would like to be able to click on another circle and make that line a Minor Heading, too, but the app won’t let me do that.

Sounds like a good idea. We will see if we can do that.

Pressing ⌘T shows the calendar sidebar. No problem, I’ll press ⌘T to make it go away. Nope. If I can press ⌥⌘S to toggle the sidebar, why can’t ⌘T do the same for the calendar sidebar? Instead, I have to drag the thumb to collapse the calendar sidebar, widening the main content window. Why must it be this way?

Sounds like an oversight. Will look into that.

I have content with actual #'s in it. Now I have a bunch of false tags: for sure, they are tags to the app, but not to me. They are like phantoms. My current solution requires that I change my content to #whatever. I don’t think I should be the one to have to change in order to work around what the app thinks the norm is. I get it, convenience, but I feel like I should be the one that creates a tag.

One option is to use either fixed width or preformatted paragraph style. Markdown is not parsed in that.

Kind regards,
Drew

OK, so I definitely overlooked some keyboard shortcuts, so thanks for the pointers, Drew.

While I can select several lines and apply a style, I can’t ⌘-select multiple, non-contiguous regions of text and apply the same style to them. This would be very handy.

They are separate notes. That’s why that is. Not a single piece of text.

I think you misunderstand me, Drew. I mean within the same note. My use case is a note with multiple subsections. I typically type out the subsection names and some initial content for each subsection. Then I circle back to apply some default styling. What I would like to do is ⌘-select the subsection names and apply the style in one fell swoop. What actually happens is that only the first line I selected remains highligted. Correct me if I am mistaken, but these are just different paras within the same note. Seems like I should be able to do this. Just a thought…

You should be able to use shift-click to extend the selection over the range from the current point, to the new point.

This will select within a single note, but not across notes.

Perhaps you can post a screenshot to show if you think I am still wrong.

⇧-clicking allows me to select multiple contiguous lines within a single note, which is great, but what I want to do is select multiple non-contiguous lines within a single note, which I can’t do. Why do I want to do this? So I can apply a style selection to them all in one go. I would expect to be able to ⌘-click to do this, but that doesn’t work. When I try, the first line stays selected, the second time I ⌘-click the line selects but then deselects as soon as I release the mouse button.

Ah, I see. Indeed. We don’t support multiple selections at this point. That is optional in the Apple text system, and we decided it complicated things too much initially.

Drew