This may relate to your work on integration of reminders/calendar, though it is somewhat nuanced.
Besides the normal to-dos which are either ongoing or are tied to a specific date, I also have the following categories of to-dos for which a special UI would be helpful.
- To-dos which recur, typically daily, which are important enough to remind myself but are not critical (e.g., shaving when not on a fixed work schedule) and for which I do not want any of these:
- Timed reminders, forcing me to dismiss or snooze
- Polluting my to-do listing (or calendar) when I have marked them complete nor do I want them accumulating over time when recurring.
I want an opportunity to dismiss them, yet ensure they show up the next day (or at whatever frequency)–though only showing up on a list of my choosing with other to-dos like my agenda–not an alarm and not a visible calendar item. I don’t even want them on a Today listing, as I’d like to see the items with my “On the Agenda”, as I don’t tend to fix my to-dos to a date.
- To-dos which I may be inspired to add to a list as a possible item to do for that day (typically an idea to do something recreational, e.g., with the family), but which I do not:
- Want to be automatically added every day.
- Want to have to go to the trouble of marking the item as complete if the day goes by (they are not achievements, so crossing them off almost makes them feel like a chore), and I don’t want them nagging me after the moment has gone by.
It would be nice if some one-off to-dos like this could be easily set with a fixed recurring expiry time for all such to-dos (e.g., 1am for the end of the day) and disappear from view after that time (though perhaps with a special “hidden” tag, at least that was retained for a day that could be rediscovered).