Apple Pencil issues

What I did: Started writing notes with Apple Pencil 2

What happened: The cursor keeps moving as I write. Commonly highlighting the title text and replacing title once I finish writing. Also run into other issues if my palm touches the iPad at all.

What I expected: Being able to edit and write notes using the Apple Pencil without worrying that my hand touching the screen would count as writing.

Things that might be helpful to know (Agenda version, OS and model, etc):
Regular iPad 2020 version, Apple Pencil. Both purchased recently and updated.

I just started using Agenda. I don’t have a Mac just iPad and iPhone. Sorry if this is an issue already mentioned in support. I’m a heavy Apple Pencil user looking for an app that’s integrated for Apple Pencil and agenda-like features. This may not be the app for me. Would love to get some more input before I keep using it and hating it. Maybe I need to find something else but I already paid for premium. I wanna try before I give up. TIA!

Can you be more specific about where you are seeing these issues? Do you mean Apple’s Scribble technology, where you just write on the note itself, and the text gets inserted? Or do you mean you are using the + button to add a drawing, and writing or drawing full screen?

I’m afraid many aspects of Scribble are controlled by Apple. Things like palm detection are not within our control.

(I am assuming you have the latest iPad iOS with the Scribble technology.)

I am having the same issues as pinkbroker (I am fully updated to latest iOS, etc.). You’re correct that some of the problems are general to Scribble across all apps (e.g., poor capitalization). But the most frustrating thing for me on Agenda is that the cursor will randomly “jump” from inside the note to the header line, for reasons I can’t explain. When this happens it deletes out the note title with whatever I was scribbling at that moment.

This kind of behavior is unique to Agenda. On Things, Bear, etc., I put the pencil down at the location where I want the text to go and start scribbling — and the converted text gets inserted at that location.

My current workaround is to open the drawing attachment and write by hand there during a meeting or brainstorm when I want to jot stuff down without typing, and then go back to type up permanent notes that I want to be searchable. That’s okay, but a time waster compared to other notetaking apps. In Things or Bear, I can scribble directly in the note, and then my review is just cleaning up capitalization and spelling errors. Alternatively, in Goodnotes I can just write by hand and my handwriting is fully searchable. I would like to convert from Goodnotes to Agenda for the date functionality, but I really prefer note-taking by hand so it’s a constant tradeoff for me.

Thanks for the detailed follow up, we’ll have a look at what is going on.

I’m having the same issue, but the weird thing is that I’ve been using this app for a few weeks now and it only started a few days ago. I took a screen recording to try to show what’s happening if its helpful

Can you email us the screenrecording to alex@agenda.com?

Hi Ashley,

We had a look at the video you sent (thank you for that!) and concluded that the issue is not with Agenda but more with the way Scribble is designed to work. For example, take this shopping list where you would want to insert “Apples”. The instinctive action would be to do the same as on real paper and try to write small at the place you want the text to go. However this is a) not necessary and b) interferes with gestures to select and/or erase text if you hit the text around where you’re writing:

Instead just tap once with the pencil at the location where you’d like to insert the text so that the cursor starts blinking, and after that you can write anywhere in the big empty space at any size you like to insert the text:

This way it should work as advertised.

2 Likes

This is a helpful explanation. I’d done the same in other apps but it didn’t occur to me to do the same on Agenda… however, since the note doesn’t take up the full screen, especially on landscape, I have to be very careful about where I start writing. Would be great to be able to increase note width. Thanks!