All-day reminder weirdness

Trying out Agenda 6.0 with the new Reminders support. I was hoping to use this to further integrate my workflow with Things 3, which I rely on and which has its own version of Reminders support (basically, anything that shows up in the Reminders inbox shows up in Things to be imported, and once it’s imported it’s removed from Reminders.)

I know you probably didn’t design this feature with Things importing in mind, but there is some weirdness related to this process that I thought I should report.

Generally when I create a task, I will want it to be “all-day” (typically I don’t need to be reminded at a specific time.) I can select “All-Day Reminder” when I create a reminder in Agenda, which is great. Somehow, the day that the reminder is assigned to doesn’t show up in Things at all when it’s imported, however (it comes in as an undated task). Yet, when there’s a “timed” reminder created, that shows up in Things with both the date and time intact. When I look in the Reminders app at an all-day reminder, the reminder time shows “Today” in red text, and when I go into the task details, it shows a time of 12:00 AM. (I guess Reminders itself doesn’t actually support date-only times?) But neither the date nor the 12 AM time show up in the imported Things task.

Anyway, this is probably a weird edge case that can’t/won’t be fixed easily or soon, and it might all change completely once the overhauled iOS 13 Reminders app comes out. But I wanted to make you aware if you weren’t already, especially since I see Agenda and Things as spiritual siblings in a way, and I think a lot of other people do too.

Thanks for investigating, in part this is indeed in Things’ corner. But we also had some reports on iOS13 setting all-day reminders differently then we do. The APIs Apple provide are very ambiguous, so while fixing things for iOS13 we might accidentally also fix things for Things, who knows. To be continued over the next few weeks as we prepare for iOS13…

1 Like

Seconded – I also use Agenda + Things 3, and I’m seeing this behavior as well. Ideally I’d like to create all-day reminders by default and have those sync over to Things.

My current workaround is to create standard timed reminders with \remind, and then when I import them into Things I remove the time.

I’ve only just upgraded to Premium (and in truth only really started using Agenda), all my devices are running iOS 13 beta 3 and I haven’t been able to get reminders functionality working. In the Agenda settings it says ‘No available lists’ when I hit the reminders drop down box.

Agenda does have permissions to reminders in settings, so I’m not sure at this point if it’s a broad issue with the beta or something specific to myself. Any thoughts?

Sorry, scratch this request. Turns out it is working on my iPhone. Just my iPad that is experiencing the issue, most likely something on my end.

Can you try the following:

• Open the Reminders.app on your iPad

• Create a reminder there

• Double-tap the home button and swipe up the Agenda thumbnail (to force quit it)

• Start Agenda

Does it now allow you to create a reminder?

A quick update: we have found one cause for all-day reminders to show up still with a specific time, we’ll try to fix that in a next update. Hopefully that fixes import into Things as well.