Agenda is linking notes to events that have long been deleted

A date in my Agenda’s (macOS) right-hand calendar pane is marked as linking to a note (there’s a note icon to the right of the text with a tooltip on hover saying “Go to linked note”).

But that note is linking to an event that has long since been deleted.

If I highlight the note in question, and select Note > Unlink Calendar Event, I see a dialog warning me that “The association between calendar event “[Event Name]” and the Agenda link in the Calendar app will be removed”. But the event named in that dialog is the name of an event which was deleted many days ago.

So the link is superfluous, and the event no longer exists.

Shouldn’t that link have been destroyed when the event was deleted?

Why is Agenda storing details of events which have long been deleted everywhere else?

Apologies for the slow reply, coming back to this one:

When you say “deleted” are you saying it’s still in the trash, or was the trash emptied as well?

Why is Agenda storing details of events which have long been deleted everywhere else?

Because Agenda works in a non-destructive way when it comes to data stored, the data is simply hidden when deleted but unless you delete the entire project, the data is still there in the key-value store under the hood.

| mekentosj Support Team
June 29 |

• | - |

Apologies for the slow reply, coming back to this one:

PhilipN:

But that note is linking to an event that has long since been deleted.

When you say “deleted” are you saying it’s still in the trash, or was the trash emptied as well?

Deleted to the trash and the trash emptied.

Because Agenda works in a non-destructive way when it comes to data stored, the data is simply hidden when deleted but unless you delete the entire project, the data is still there in the key-value store under the hood.

That sounds woefully like a post hoc excuse for bad logic. The event being referred to no longer exists! The ‘non-destroyed’ data is therefore nothing more than the title or a defunct pointer to an event which is no longer there. There’s nothing I could I ever do with it.

I don’t understand your comment. It’s not an excuse, it’s an explanation. First it could be that with “deleted” you meant “put in the trash”. While for you this sounds like an absolute clear cut distinction, for many less experienced users it isn’t. But good, that’s clarified now. Then you ask “Why is Agenda storing details of events which have long been deleted everywhere else?” and I give you the technical explanation why it is possible that Agenda still has this data stored even with the trash emptied, which is how I interpreted your question. Now I see you meant the question to be why it is possible that Agenda still displays this data. And that’s a good question, if the trash is emptied, it does indeed sound like a bug and hence we shall investigate. No need to for being so upset I’d think?