Add integration of Things 3

Things doesn’t integrate with Reminders, other than Things can import tasks from a single Reminders list, and then deletes the tasks from Reminders. Once the task is deleted, so to is its connection to Agenda.

I’ve used Things in the past, but after reading all of the responses to this thread, I’m having a hard time understanding why you would still want to use Things alongside Agenda and not have Agenda totally replace it when reminders support is released. What does Things offer that can’t easily be achieved with Agenda?

Why use Things when you can use Reminders and Agenda?

1. Firstly, the keyboard shortcut for a task in Reminders is the most awkward one ever. Seriously.
  2. I use an email app, and a calendar app, and slack and… there are more places to collect to-dos from than just Agenda. Things, Omnifocus 2Do and many others collect to-do’s better.

One Point that excited me was the potential of using 2Do and Agenda together. 2Do is more powerful than Things in many ways, and it uses icloud Reminders to sync notes. Theoretically, you could add a task in Agenda and it would just show up in 2Do. And more wonderfully, if you completed it in 2do, it would show completed in Agenda. That’s perfect.

Capturing tasks from anywhere to either 2do, Things or Omnifocus is easily taken care of with pop-clip, by the way. PopClip is one of my first additions to any set up.

Does anyone know of a good Alfred workflow for Agenda? Search or crate a note?

3 Likes

This is a really interesting thread. For what it’s worth, I’d love there to be an integration between Agenda and Things whereby, any tasks I make in my notes automatically get carried across into Things, preferably with a relevant tag attached.

Having said that, I get that there a number of other To Do Lists (2Do, Reminders and others have been mentioned). In fact, some people just want to store their To Do Lists in Agenda - in short, everyone has their process, apps and workflows.

Therefore, could we not just open up Agenda to something like Zapier so that users can build the flows that are most relevant to them? All I ask that in any flow like that is that we get the ability to capture any tasks that are created within Agenda.

Either way though, please set this up. This is the one thing that I’m seriously missing and isn’t something that Bear has (at the moment!)

Thanks,

Note that Agenda does support x-callback and shortcuts, so you may be able to build up these types of workflows with some work.

A tiny part of me wants Agenda to be able to have two-way communication with OmniFocus, e.g. checking an item off in Agenda checks it off in OmniFocus, and vice-versa.

But, I’m more looking forward to seeing what happens with Agenda’s checklists. I’ve been using OmniFocus for 11 years now (!!), but would be happy to ditch it.

OmniFocus’s main weakness is context, which is where Agenda excels. It seems really feasible to me that when they add better checklist filtering (which they’ve repeatedly stated is on the way), then that combined with the existing great filtering options will make Agenda a better representation of past / current / upcoming work than OmniFocus.

All that said, task managers do a lot of stuff that would take Agenda a long time to duplicate. I’m thinking of repeating tasks, and sequential task lists.

Probably the biggest question though is, which app to integrate with first? There are lots of Things users and OmniFocus users, and I’m sure both camps would prefer to see their app get the love.

3 Likes

Until Agenda have fixed a way to integrate Things 3 have provided a semi good workaround.
In Agenda add the reminder, this will automatically be picked up for import in Things 3.
The icon in Agenda will turn grey when it has been imported in Things 3.
Instructions for setup in Things 3

Good luck :blush:

4 Likes

@drewmccormack but Optionally like you have do with reminders Who you not do the same for things omnifocus and Todoist? This world be Great for collaborate with others and anyone use what want ! Agenda go to an other level

What value do you find that Things 3 provides now on top of using both Agenda and Apple Reminders?

1 Like

I think omnifocus will be better! Hope omnifocus!

What value do you guys find that Things 3 provides now over the new Reminders app and Agenda?

3 Likes

I agree that it would be lovely to have a built in integration with things 3.
so that you can make a ‘reminder’ in agenda, make it visible in things 3, but also sync (when completed in things, also marked completed in agenda, and vice versa)

1 Like

It would indeed be great to have some form of integration that closely follows the way it works with Reminders but this would probably require a formal collaboration to get very neat.

3 Likes

I’ve basically been asking this to everyone who posts about this, but haven’t really gotten a response yet…
What value do you find now in Things 3 that sets it apart from Apple’s reminders app?

1 Like

I know that Reminders.app has been significantly improved recently, but as a Things user for 12 years now I haven’t used Reminders all that much Over the years to make a fair comparison. I don’t think that Reminders yet has the ability to create projects, tag items, and set start dates. Strong AppleScript support on macOS and fantastic keyboard shortcuts on iPadOS and a beautiful interface are pluses also. They have a 14-day trial for the macOS version if you want to take it for a spin. Sadly, no trial version for iOS/iPadOS.

1 Like

I agree,

supposedly reminders had a good update in the latest OS. However, I believe things 3 is still ahead. Its just so elegant and simple concerning simple to do’s and managing them. it makes it almost fun to be productive ;-). dragging them to a certain day in iOS, displaying agenda items, batch editing to do’s, etc.
I believe its the most advanced/superior to do app. However, while you can also add notes to a to do, the Agenda app is vastly superior note taking app, that is date based. This is great for meetings, logging progress on long term projects. They both have their own strengths and thats why integration/syncing would be great.

4 Likes
  1. Deadlines
  2. Faster, more reliable sync
  3. Calendar integration
  4. Better design / interface
  5. Recurring projects
  6. Logbook
  7. Quick search
  8. Templates
  9. Days left to deadline
  10. Cancelling To-Dos
5 Likes

My point would be to focus on Reminders integration and add whatever is useful in other apps to Agenda. I like the quick simplicity of Reminders, and use BusyCal as my calendar if I want to see everything in one place.

New convert to Agenda this year because of Apple Scribble making it possible for me to now take handwritten notes when possible. I see handwriting as more reflective in processes compared to the logging/data loading function of typing (maybe this is because of my dev background). That said, prior to Agenda I was using custom PDF in GoodNotes which was pretty effective compared to physical paper (and better for the environment), but it still had a disconnect with how I manage data in various systems.

Ultimately technology is too ripe and competitive to envision a monolithic solution as some of suggested in this thread. Instead the dream, and often what separates many apps is the effectiveness of the interface for the task at hand. As many have said, Agenda is primed for note taking, journaling, content and context, and ultimately fleshing out details that apps like Things/Reminders doesn’t capture (for good reason since that isn’t necessarily the “task at hand”).

Through my experience with GoodNotes into Agenda I actually think that if you can capture the ability to “intake” data points in a way that interfaces with respective data sets (i.e. Calendar tools requires event data, CRM tools require customer data, etc. - no matter how it’s captures that data can universally be shared with a tool in the respective space making it extremely powerful (think Slack). By “tagging” a line in Agenda today I can easily make a Reminder, but ultimately reminders are not effective tasks managers they are a feature/capability of task management.

These distinctions are key to being a disruptor and unicorn in my personal opinion. Your features (current/future) should really highlight the “why you exist” premise because ultimately when you invest in the product you are investing in the leadership and value that is promised with it.

As a new adopter I’m excited to contribute to the conversation and do hope this evolves more because I agree with the OP that this can be a “powerhouse” capability of the product.

2 Likes

+1

If there’s one major shortcoming of Apple Reminders imo, it’s that it only lets you set a defer date if you also have a due date. That’s one thing Things and OmniFocus get right. I am making due without it, but if I have one thing in the back of my mind that I miss about Things/OF, that’s it.

1 Like