Add format bar to macOS

Why is there no menu bar with buttons to edit and format notes on macOS? I would expect one as the current solution, the little dot in front of every line does not always appear.

Now, I need to start writing and then edit. While I would also like to put bullets before starting a new line. But often the little edit dot doesn’t appear.

On the Mac we feel a format bar doesn’t make much sense, if you need a visual way to change formatting we have the popover you mention, but much faster than either that and a formatting bar is to simply use keyboard shortcuts (or right/control-click contextual menu as an intermediate between the two).

Thanks for your reply. But why doesn’t the dot appear on the next empty line? Should I first type and then format?

Yes, this is indeed a shortcoming. You would need to add some text first.

We have plans to change this aspect of the app.

Kind regards,
Drew

Great. And what about formatting multiple lines at the same time. If I select 5 lines and choose the check list option, I would expect all 5 lines to become separate items in the list. Now, only the first line becomes a check list item.

That would speed things up. And it would be a logical way to go about it.

The current control is for a particular paragraph, not the selection. It is unrelated to the selection at all. You don’t even need a selection for it to work.

You can you use the menus at the top to apply check list to a multiple line selection.

In future we may move away from the paragraph control and to a selection based one, but that is a more major project.

Kind regards,
Drew