URL scheme to create a note

It’s not that difficult to grasp. I’m just wondering why you would do it instead of just going into Agenda and writing a note there.

Anyway, I’ve started adding this functionality. Will probably come in with a few x-callback options with Siri Shortcuts. Will start with a very minimal set of options, and build that out based on feedback. Will definitely be very much a beta in the beginning.

I can see the attraction for some people. However after reading people raving about Drafts I’ve tried it a couple of times over the years. For me it just addeded another layer of complexity.

If I’m making a quick note, I know now I want it to be in Agenda, so what’s missing is an in box. When an idea strikes I want to capture it ASAP, not have the cognitive overload of deciding which project the note should be in. One thing that might help would be if one could write the note before deciding which project it belonged to. “In box” could be the default option for when one is short of time. Indeed perhaps instead of “in box” the dialogue offering the project list, could have a prominent “decide later” button.

Use the DEVONThink method. They provide two methods that appear in the iOS Share scheme. (1) Clip to DEVONThink which allows the user to select the Title, Location and Tag, and (2) Copy to DEVONThink which simply copies an entry from a 3rd party app to an Inbox. Simple, easy, clean. Works with Bear, Drafts etc. Why can’t Agenda offer the same thing?

We have plans for this sort of functionality, but it is separate to the whole URL callback discussion.

We have Siri Shortcuts coming soon. What you can do there is have Agenda open straight to a particular note or project from the control panel or a voice command. You could make a project/note called Inbox, and then use “Go to Inbox” to open up Agenda there for text entry or dictation.

1 Like

Nice!

Would be nicer still, if there was an Inbox in Overview, with some kind of indicator so one could tell if there were any notes in it waiting to be processed. (Nothing as obtrusive as a note count!)

1 Like

This sounds a very good news as I am a big fan of an Inbox, too! And I like very much even the suggestion by @tresbo about "an Inbox in Overview, with some kind of Indicator”. Actually, I think it would be very good if there will be also a possibility to open Agenda directly to “Today”, and not only to “On the Agenda” as it happens now.

1 Like

Siri Shortcuts will allow opening directly in Today or On the Agenda. The Inbox idea is still early days, and we aren’t sure exactly how that will work yet or if we will add it. We are still deciding how to address that.

1 Like

Thank you @drewmccormack! It sounds very good that the shortcuts will allow to open directly in Today. I understand that the idea of an Inbox is still under scrutiny and has to be evaluated carefully. Anyway, maybe it is not necessary for the moment to create a proper Inbox. Maybe, just simply give a little bit more of flexibility to the structure already existing. I mean, I have already a category called “Inbox" with three projects names urgent, middle term and someday, but I had to put some *** to keep this category at the top of the list of all categories, which are organized alphabetically, to have it quite efficient. However, having the possibility to reorganize the categories freely I think it would help me a lot for this Inbox. And maybe this could even allow more in general the possibility to test a potential future and proper “Inbox”.

One additional thought -

The icon next to each project name changes as more notes are added. I’ve just checked and the icon is identical when the project is empty and when it has just one note. To work well as an ‘unofficial’ Inbox, it would be really helpful if it was clear when a project is completely empty - ie ‘inbox zero’!

Currently the icon is two sheets of paper (I presume) with up to three lines on it as more notes are added. Perhaps ‘project empty’ (or unofficial inbox zero) could be one sheet of paper with no lines?

1 Like

This sounds a good idea. It could be helpful indeed.

Thanks so much for implementing! Can’t wait to make some awesome Drafts actions/see what others are mking when life quiets downs just a bit!

1 Like

Just a quick feedback logged here:

Great update with URL schemes! Although it would be nice if the create-note scheme would respect this preference.

https://mobile.twitter.com/zsbenke/status/1044143782424444928

1 Like

Cheers, we’ll fix that

Agenda for iOS now supports x-callback-urls, including the create-note action. For more details, see Sharing, Import, Export, and Printing - #2

1 Like