The functionality similar to Roam Research

Recently many friends recommend Roam Research to me,
and it seems very useful for me.

Do Agenda has similar develop plan?

Thanks.

2 Likes

Depends what features you are referring to specifically?

1 Like

Some weird coincidences going on! I’d never heard of the Zettelkasten method until a post here last week, and here is Roam Research, which is based on — the Zettelkasten method.

I was so impressed with the method that I started a Zettelkasten in Agenda, which was good timing as I’m just starting a research project. So far it’s been pretty easy - and effective - applying the method to Agenda.

The Roam video and press coverage won’t open on my iPad, but from a quick glance at the features on a review on Medium, it does have a couple of features I’d love to see in Agenda that would be really useful:

1. Automatic linking to an existing note by typing its title
  2. Automatic creation of a new note by typing its title
  3. Automatic back linking
  4. Folding outlines - though I think that’s in the plans for agenda.

Agenda’s related notes panel is a great feature for the usage, not in Roam.

2 Likes

Thank you for ROAM RESEARCH awareness. Testing + loving it. Very powerful :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

1 Like

And how’s it coming. Curious mind(s) would like to know? :wink:

1 Like

Nicely! I’ve said a bit about how I’m using it here: The Zettelkasten - #10 by trebso

I’m adding material at the moment, so I can’t really evaluate how good it will be for ‘making sense’ later. I suspect that will depend largely on making good use of links during creation, and using tags well (TAG BROWSER PLEASE!!)

“I’m adding material at the moment, so I can’t really evaluate how good it will be for ‘making sense’ later. I suspect that will depend largely on making good use of links during creation, and using tags well (TAG BROWSER PLEASE!!)”

Yes! We agree on that (TAG BROWSER PLEASE)

I’ve not been able to find anything in this forum about the note-linking and tag auto-complete features in Agenda. Are they out yet? (I‘m on 10.0.4 and don’t have beta 11 access)

For me, Roam as an expensive web-only solution is a non-starter.

With Agenda we have an amazing piece of software which maximizes use of the latest MacOS and iOS APIs. While they don’t yet have a web app and will likely never have an Android app, I’m okay with that.

It’s more likely Agenda will provide the building blocks and features allowing for a robust Zettelkasten-style flow.

Neither are in v11 alas, a ton of other things are, but both the tag autocomplete and bidirectional linking have to wait till later. The former we still hope to bring later this year, the linking we have to ETA for yet.

Update: Agenda 14 now supports much easier insertion of links to other notes through auto-completion, as well as backlinks through the related notes panel in the inspector, you can see it in action here