“Copy As ... Agenda Link” Single Personality Desired

Yeah, absolutely true. And I’m not sure we would necessarily choose to do it differently were we to start again. The model we chose, like any of them, has pros and cons. The pros are mostly in the way things work for sync, and will scale in the future to collaboration. These are very valuable aspects. Downside is we have to work a bit harder on cross linking, but we will get there. Just a question of finding time.

1 Like

Uh, ya think. I write quick notes to a Scratch Pad Project using a Shortcut. Often they aren’t deleted but moved, not to necessarily be looked at for a couple days until it pops up in Reminders. But if I had a link, it would break, rendering the process useless. Now I know what happened. Here’s my vote to move this feature to the top of the request pile.

2 Likes

I write my quick notes to a diary note for the day, when I go back and review my day later, some of those quick notes are ones I might want to elaborate on then. For each of those, I usually copy out and create a new note in the proper project and all. I just leave a phrase or short sentence in the diary and create a link to the detailed note. Since the detailed note is created where it belongs, the links to it work. That turns out to be a work around for this particular problem, more or less by accident since I’ve been doing this for months – long before I was aware of this issue.

I can imagine situations where you want to link to the note sooner rather than later. For example, if I wanted to create an Omnifocus task with a link to the note. A workaround would be to link the task to the diary to start with. Later, when I used the link there, I’d find the diary note and skim to the link for the detailed note. I could then update the link in Omnifocus so I’d go to the detailed note directly.

Not ideal, but doable and is mostly what I’m doing already. It helps that my diary notes tend to be short, mostly because if I have much to say about something, I go ahead and make a separate note in the proper project.

Some more thoughts on this.

Quick Update: we’ve just added the necessary underpinnings that ensure that (newly created) Agenda links will continue to resolve also after a note is moved to a different project. Note that this will be part of the update after the iOS13 and iPadOS updates are out because those are already submitted and pending Apple’s releases.

7 Likes

A big thank you to all of you, this is greatly and gratefully appreciated.

Even more reason to look forward to the public release of iOS 13 and iPadOS.

Kind regards,

Paul

1 Like

Just to make sure, this will be part of the update following the one that will coincide with the iPadOS release.

Got it - the fix should be coming along with the purported iOS v13.1 release at the end of this month(?)

Also noted - the fix will (only) apply to newly created links.

Thank you again

Paul

Even this release is already pending, might still get in but more likely the one right after the 13.1 release.

Also noted - the fix will (only) apply to newly created links.

More precisely, only apply to links (both new and existing) to notes moved to a different project after the update, these should no longer break.

1 Like

What about the timing of a MacOS update to similarly align with the iOS and iPadOS fixes?

Ahh… thank you. I took a more negative perspective/interpretation, in that I assumed already existing links would still break if their respective Notes went walkies. This is good(er) news.

Kind regards,

Paul

What about the timing of a MacOS update to similarly align with the iOS and iPadOS fixes?

The macOS update with this fix will ship at the same time as it requires a synchronised update.

I’m going to make this concrete so I’m sure I know what you mean.

Let’s say, I have a note named Thursday and it has a link to a note about my dog called, Keelin limping, and that link works now.

1. If I don’t move Keelin limping to another project before the update, the link will continue working after the update.

2. If I do to move Keelin limping to a different project before the update, it will break. After the update, it will still be broken.

3. If I wait until after the update and then move Keelin limping to another project, the link will continue working.

4. If I move Thursday to another project, that won’t matter at all since I don’t have any links pointing to Thursday.

Is all that correct? Thanks! :slight_smile: I will be glad to have this working.

Correct.

1. If I do to move Keelin limping to a different project before the update, it will break. After the update, it will still be broken.

Correct, once broken, the update won’t fix it.

1. If I wait until after the update and then move Keelin limping to another project, the link will continue working.

Correct.

1. If I move Thursday to another project, that won’t matter at all since I don’t have any links pointing to Thursday .

Correct.

1 Like

Sooo … there’s this viscous rumour that iOS 13.1 and iPadOS will be released into the wild on the 24th of September, not the 30th. Mayhaps they’ve been brought forward due to a serious security flaw in iOS 13 or some such.

I guess it still depends on when Agenda gets the green light for iOS and iPadOS, that may not necessarily coincide with the 24th, right? But we’re all hopeful…

As for the MacOS update - at least we don’t (seemingly) have to wait for Catarina. Who knows what/when she’ll get up to, the pooty parper :slight_smile:. I guess she may be entitled to ruminate a bit longer, as there may be some wondrous new (and expensive) bits of hardware as part of her entourage.

Kind regards,

Paul

Do new macOS features / the next macOS version depend on Catalina? I don’t see myself updating to Catalina any time soon (in fact I’m on 10.13, hopefully new Agenda versions continue to support it).

No, the minimum required version will remain macOS 10.12.

2 Likes