Bidirectional note linking?

Agreed. I would love to see a quicker, more natural workflow for creating links between notes and feel Agenda would greatly benefit from its addition.

1 Like

I would just like for a system like Roamā€™s (or Craft) where I type the name of the otters note and it links to it bidirectionally. It would help me find my notes much more quickly than searching. The current system of linking notes in Agenda, although it works, is somewhat cumbersome for the bidirectionally, as I have to copy a link, go to another note, paste it, then copy the other noteā€™s link, find the note, and paste it again. Itā€™s quite a few steps, and this leads to me sometimes forgetting to link back to the original note, or finding the note again.

2 Likes

We hear you, and will see what we can do. Thanks for the feedback!

1 Like

Yes please! Even without the bidirectional link, inserting links by typing a search would be a HUGE enhancment.

Eg, Iā€™m writing my ā€˜Plan for Todayā€™, and I want to say, call Bob about my ideas for a podcast. I canā€™t remember off hand where the ideas are - in ā€˜marketingā€™ ā€˜business developmentā€™ ā€˜in boxā€™ ā€˜ideas dumpā€™ etc.

Now I have to faff around looking in various places or searching, both of whick also lose the focus on the current note, then select the note I want, then copy as link, navigate back, then paste.

Just typing a command and ā€˜podcastā€™, select and return would be massive:

call @BobRobertson about podcast braindump

Of course, even cooler is I could also insert the link to Bobā€™s contact in the same way! :wink:

All ā€œon the Agendaā€ as we say :smiley:

You have stated one of the features that has made Obsidian/Roam the app flavor of the year. Itā€™s all the rage. And for good reason, as your post explains. Iā€™ve been on the Agenda ride since v1. Loved it then, love it now. But use it less and less as time goes on for just this very reason. Bloat is in the eye of the beholder. Iā€™ve read the Devs previous responses to the bidirectional linking requests. I would only caution them that NOT responding SOONER rather than later to this feature request would in my humble opinion be a development misstep. But, then againā€¦I could be wrong. :wink:

1 Like

I havenā€™t paid close attention to this thread, but I wouldnā€™t want Agenda to automatically insert a link in the other note. So if I have Note A and I create a link in it to Note B, I would not expect Note Bā€™s text to change at all - but I would love to see Note A appear in ā€œRelated Notesā€ (or something similar).

1 Like

So if I have Note A and I create a link in it to Note B , I would not expect Note B ā€™s text to change at all - but I would love to see Note A appear in ā€œRelated Notesā€ (or something similar).

Yes, this is how we would want it to work as well.

3 Likes

ā€¦appear in ā€œRelated Notesā€ (or something similar)ā€¦?

Are you looking for another Pane?

I am trying to communicate ā€œI want to see the list of notes somewhere over there on the right sideā€ and let them figure out what the actual design should be :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Sounds like a plan!

Update: Agenda 14 now supports much easier insertion of links to other notes, as well as backlinks through the related notes panel in the inspector, you can see it in action here

3 Likes