Integration of time tracking

Since Agenda already tracks temporality in a general sense, is it possible for it to track it in a more specific sense? The two examples I can think of immediately are sprinting/ pomodoro style where there is some kind of either countdown or timer immediately accessible to the user. I would imagine there are users who would like to be stuck on a particular page for a specific length of time so they can work on a task without distractions, though I’m sure there are also users who would need the ability to reference different pages within a project, or different apps/ the internet/ etc. Personally I use an app called Forest (which also has a Chrome extension) which “prevents” me from using my phone for however long I ask it to do that, which is where the “restricted to a particular page/ project/ etc” idea is from.

Separately but related, is it possible to track how long the user spends working on either a particular note, or within a particular project, or within the app in general? I like looking at this kind of data to discern trends in when and why I’m most productive (or least productive), though I’m sure people who bill by time frame would appreciate it too.

Just some ideas I had that I thought I’d throw out there!

Interesting ideas. Many of the ideas in Agenda originated from the way I was keeping track of things in a meeting-heavy environment, and very early alphas of Agenda even had a start button on the note that you’d press at the start of a meeting for example in order to track date+time. That proofed to be a terrible idea and none of that is there in the end, but just to say that I agree there are interesting angles for time tracking given the app is very date centered.

Problem is that like you say it’s probably interesting for a smaller group while making things more complex/busy for everybody else. We have some ideas on how to use commands to enhance the workflows in agenda, perhaps it can fit in that model. We’ll have a think.

I think task tracking is probably better left to other apps. Have you tried Timing?

I disagree. A simple button to date and time stamp the beginning and end of any note would be very useful. Every time I have to use another app (vs integrated, like you do with Calendar) is a burden and increased complexity to life. So happy you are adding Reminders. Simple to add end time duration options (or let the export handle duration).

I think it is a bit too specific for our app. If we add buttons for every possible use of the app, it will be MS Word in no time :wink:

That said, we have some ideas about how we could make the app extendible in certain ways, to allow people with more specific use cases to adopt them. Stay tuned for that.

Not a button for everything. It’s Agenda; time and date are important, both intended and actual. :slight_smile:

FWIW, I use a simple app TimeTable 3 by Steven Riggs, which I’ve set up to monitor particular calendars where I record billable time. For example, an calendar named RG02 is for time spent on projects for one of my clients. It’s easy to link a note in Agenda to an event on that calendar, or create an event on that calendar from Agenda. When I need a report of the details and time spent, TimeTable produces it in CSV or other formats.

My point: linking together useful tools and widgets using the calendar as a central store is, in my opinion, far better than expecting Agenda or any other app to handle all these features. macOS and iOS provide the ability to create our own integrations this way. Time tracking is so specific to each person that there is no way Agenda could fit everyone’s use case without making a mess of it.

1 Like

I should point out that we recently worked with the developer of Timing app to better support Agenda. This now allows you to see how much time you spend working in each project and with each note. No replacement for proper time tracking for billing, but perhaps useful for some.

Just a quick note (or 2 or 3)

Thanks konetidy for the link to TimeTable 3. Very useful.

Timing (mentioned above) costs minimally, $36/year to rent :frowning: just to keep track of time. Compared to Agenda pricing model???

One of the frustrations I experience (and others as well if ClickUp is any indicator), is that folks are tired of working so hard to find a group of apps that do what they need that also work together well, and don’t cost a small fortune (after you finish renting all the various parts) or get nickled and dimed (charged extra) for often needed add-ons.

Lordy don’t I miss ClarisOrganizer–Notes, Tasks, Calendar & Contacts all nicely integrated in one app. Damn Apple for selling it and Palm for killing it. Apparently this concept is a tough nut to crack again as attempts have died (NOW, Chronos, ???)

For me at least, the fewer apps the better, and I love how Agenda integrates so thoroughly w/ Apple’s Reminders and Calendar, as it allows me to actually us BusyCal instead (integrates Reminders and Calendar in one App) with Agenda simplifying even more. And I don’t need to rent anything.

Forward…

1 Like