New Window command

The ability to peel notes or projects out into separate windows has been very helpful. I still find it cumbersome that only one of those windows can show a sidebar. So, if you have a few Agenda windows open to different projects, and you want to open another, you have to

1. navigate to this “master” window
  2. use it to browse to another project, and then
  3. open that project in a separate window (or let it be the master window).

Seems to me the next evolutionary step would be to make every window functional as a browser (thus interchangable). Ulysses works exactly this way, and it’s very helpful.

This is how it works on iOS but we on purposely don’t want to go this route on the Mac, we feel it just makes more sense to keep extra windows more lightweight. There are a few tricks you can use to make your life easier or even essentially unneeded to go to the sidebar:

1. Use the Cmd-Shift-0 (zero) shortcut to at any point trigger the main window to come to the front

2. Or simply click the Agenda dock icon to achieve the same

3. Click the category or project title at the top of the window you are in to trigger the sidebar to appear in a popover allowing you to switch (or use the Control-1 shortcut):

1. Use the Open-Quickly command (alt-space) to switch to a different project.

Note that the last two don’t yet work in a separate window that only shows a single note, that we’ll fix in the next update.

@mekentosj Good to know! However, I tried to use Cmd Shift 0 (zero) but nothing happens… any suggestions?

That only works if a secondary window is in front, are you sure that’s the case? If so, does the shortcut show under the Window menu?

Thank you, Alex! @mekentosj I am traveling at the moment but I will double-check when I will be back at the studio.

Hi @mekentosj I am finally back and test the command shift 0 (zero) on a secondary window, trying to reproduce the same situation as in your example, but nothing happens if the main window is fully open, if it is not completely open the shortcut closes the secondary window.
Furthermore, if I try to open a category as a menu clicking on it in a secondary window, it doesn’t work. Please, see the attached screenshot. Thanks!

Are you sure you haven’t reconfigured your shortcuts somewhere (like in the system preferences), because if it results in closing a window it means it’s trigger a different action than the one you intend. Is the shortcut shown in the window menu?

Furthermore, if I try to open a category as a menu clicking on it in a secondary window, it doesn’t work. Please, see the attached screenshot. Thanks!

That’s because what is shown there is the section header, not the project header (which is hidden), what will work in the next update is control-1 and control-2 to automatically show the project header and the navigation menu you expected to see (the equivalent of clicking the three dots in the top right corner, showing the title bar and then clicking the category title).

1 Like

Hi @mekentosj Thank you for your explanation. Yes, the shortcut is set as indicated in your example (Please, see the pic)

Any other suggestions?

Good to know that in the next update control-1 and control-2 to automatically show the project header and the navigation menu. I am looking forward to that.

If you have the menu open like in the screenshot and hit cmd-shift-zero, do you see the menu item turn blue for a second?

I wouldn’t say that. If I have the menu open like in the screenshot and hit cmd-shift-zero,
it appears more like blue lines through the page. Please, see the pic. Thanks!

Waah, that’s weird, are you using some sort of third party utility? I’ve never seen such lines.

Hmm…you are right! I think it was Grammarly that I closed and now I don’t have any blue lines anymore. However, if now I hit cmd-shift-zero nothing happens again, no blue lines, nothing …

Very likely it interferes and has installed a global shortcut, can you verify this?

I double-checked in the setting but it doesn’t seem a specific shortcut system for this application is there. It looks weird…

I can’t say I agree with this! Now that I’m working with multiple Agenda windows, it’s rather weird to have these sub-windows behave differently from the main window, and just means more jumping around for me as I’ve got them spread out among multiple desktops. Anyway, that’s my 2¢.