Linking a note to multiple dates that may not be consecutive

Hello:

Agenda is a fantastic app! Thanks for building it and for making it free to use.

I’m wondering if it is possible to assign a note to multiple dates that aren’t consecutive? For example, I have a note that I might touch a few times a week for a couple months, but I’m not working on it every day so assigning a date range isn’t quite accurate (e.g., I’d like to be able to assign M, W, F to a note instead of M-F). If the app can’t do this, I’d like to add this as a feature suggestion if it hasn’t been already.

Thanks again,

Eric

Hi Eric,

No, you can’t do that at the moment. One way to mimic this might be to use tags. Ie put #monday on notes for Monday’s, and then setup a Search All for “#monday”. Save the search as an overview, and then you can see all the Monday notes there.

If you also put a date range in your search (eg the current week), you will just get the #monday notes from this week, etc.

Drew

Thanks for getting back to me! I wasn’t clear in my description of the use case. Instead of tracking the day of the week (M,T,W, etc.) for a note, I’m interested in tracking the days I actually worked on or need to work on a note. So, if I work on a note on July 21 and then again on July 24, I’d like to assign the note to just those dates instead of the full range from Jul 21-24. This would be useful for notes I’ve created and have to come back to at some determined date in the future. For example, if I’m doing some app testing that is time-dependent, I can create a note on the current day with test cases and then assign it to a future date so it will pop into my Today view on that date. Being able to assign a note to multiple non-consecutive dates would also help when I need to look back at work I did on a specific date. I guess this could be done with a date tag and a saved relative search (e.g., a tag #scheduled(Aug 1) would pop into a saved search for #scheduled(today) on Aug 1) but it seems like functionality that would fit into the existing date picker feature and defined Today view.

1 Like

Yes, you answered the question yourself I think. We offer basic attaching of notes to a single date or range of dates, but the interface would become very complex supporting any combination of date ranges.

We have added support for tags with metadata, including dates. So indeed, you can add as many “#workedon(1 Aug, 2018)” type dates as you like, and find them back later with a search. Another advantage of this approach is that it will only match “#workedon”, and won’t bring in notes that have a date for a different reason.

Thanks for the clarification. Is there a way to limit tag date searches to the date being searched? When searching for something like #workedon(yesterday) I currently get results for yesterday and all previous days.

Hmm, that sounds like a bug. We’ll look into it. Thanks for reporting!

No problem! Here’s a screenshot of what I was seeing.