Limit search to categories

I have a hard time understanding why there is no search that can be limited to a category.

I thought perhaps that I’d missed something in the documentation. If there was a ‘reserved’ tag “#category” that accepted a parameter, it would be consistent with the way one now sets a search for #date(—your parameter here—)

Being a newb on Agenda, I’ll look to see whether I can get around this by establishing a ‘private’ categorization scheme that will limit projects searched to those with an appropriate tag included.

2 Likes

Indeed more powerful search features are on our own wishlist as well, we have some ideas in the direction you suggest, stay tuned!

3 Likes

I think this wuold be extremely powerful.
This can change the way I use Aganda, replacing my project manager app.
Consider develop it asap.
Thanks,
Francesco

I use the category feature on the one hand as an ongoing category like an area of interesst in my life/work. On the other hand I use it as a living super-project. So more like a big project.

• In both ways it would be nice to limit a search by categories.
  • In second way it would be nice to have the possibility to archive (sub-)categories.
  • May be it would be easier to implement the possibility to creat sub-project
    • so you have the over-all-search in the main-project
    • and the possibility to archive an special sub-project

I work well with the App without these features, they are not urgent to me: just to be mentioned.

Is this feature going to be included any time soon? And when it happens, would a search also be possible at a sub-category level?

This would be a really helpful feature to separate different areas / domains in life: e.g., keeping work separate from personal OR keeping one job separate from another.

Also, hoping that it would be possible to combine it with “On the Agenda” to get only those “On the Agenda” items that fall under one category/sub-category.

We plan to do a big search overhaul this year, which we aim to include these possibilities.

3 Likes

Awesome, can’t wait!

Very excited to see revamped search functionality. I hope that searching can be limitted to a particular Category (or sub category) or project (including being saved as Overviews).

If that is the case, I also hope to be able to see overviews relating to a particular category/project living under that category/project (otherwise the Overviews section could quickly grown out of proportion).

Yes and Yes :smiley:

If that is the case, I also hope to be able to see overviews relating to a particular category/project living under that category/project (otherwise the Overviews section could quickly grown out of proportion).

Not yet in the 19.0, perhaps in a smaller update after that

1 Like

It would be good to be able to move overviews to other parts of the side bar, group them under headings etc. Perhaps allow them to be dragged anywhere, and indicate they are overviews visually rather than by location.